Have you started baitcasting?
And are still using a spinning reel then you must be already aware of the problem, right? It is the control you require which your regular spinning reel is failing to provide. If you are searching for a solution to this problem, then you are in the right place. In this article, I have the answers for you; yes, the Bait Casting reels. These reels are especially for catching bass. The control of lure they provide is unmatchable with other reels.
Let’s look into the features of reels that will help you set criteria for best baitcasting reel, before purchasing.
QUICK GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS
Below is a list of our favourite fishing gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best Fishing Reel: Penn Squell Level
- Baits For Rainbow Trout: Berkley Power Bait
- Best Indore Fishing Rod: Royale Legend
- Best Ultralight Fishing Rod: KastKing Perigee II
- Best Spinning Reel Under 100: Daiwa BG Spinning Reel
- Best Walleye Trolling Lure: Original Floater Fishing Lure
- Best Pike Lure: Jerk Bait Fishing Lure from Rapala
- Best Fishing Kayak under 1000: Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Best Fishing Kayak under 300: Sun Dolphin Journey 10
- Best Fishing Wader: HODGMAN H3 STOCKING FOOT CHEST WADER
- Best Fishing Gloves: BERKLEY FISHING GLOVES
- Best Fishing Cooler: AO Coolers Sportsman Vinyl Soft Cooler
- Best Portable Fish Finder: Reel Sonar Wireless Bluetooth Smart Sonar
- Best Inflatable Fishing Boat: Sea Eagle Green
- Best Fluorocarbon Line: KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line
Here are 5 Things you Need to Know when Buying the Best Casting Reels
One of the problems which are common in baitcasting reel is the backlash. Backlash happens when the lure slows down after casting, and reel doesn’t comply, it creates a tangled mess of fish line. We anglers termed it as bird nest.
Bird nest often occurs with newbies as they are not good at casting. Manufacturers came with the idea of anti-backlash reels, which has a brake system to overcome this problem.
Anti-backlash reels are of two types in terms of brake system they use, namely magnetic brake system and centrifugal. The magnetic system applies magnetic braking on the spool, takes most the control form the caster in working, and requires less adjustment. It is pretty useful for beginners.
On the contrary, Centrifugal gives more control to the angler to prevent bird nest problems. It gives you the liberty of more adjustment. It provides more efficiency, and the system is more popular among expert anglers.
It is a mechanical device which reduces the friction between two circular motion body. It’s a common misconception among customers that the ball bearing will provide more smooth motion while casting and retrieving if the number of balls is higher.
Even some brands also market their product by saying it. In reality, that is not the only factor that guarantees smoothness, but there is another one and its major one. Usually, when you buy a new reel, it will provide you smooth motion, but with time, problems will occur. Majorly, your reels’ working depends on the quality of the bearings used and how they are protected so that they don’t rust or stop working in a small span of time.
Usually, the reel bearings have a protective covering over them. It is quite visible. These are sealed bearing, shielded, double shielded, and the best one CRBB (corrosion resistant ball bearing).
3. Low or Rounded Profile
It’s not only the matter of the shape of the reel; with it comes all the other features associated with this specifically shaped reel.
Low profile reel as obvious from their name is smaller in size, easy to handle with the following features.
- Low profile reel possesses a higher gear ratio.
- The drag of low profile reel is sufficient enough for small and medium but not bigger fish.
- Weight is also on the lighter side.
- The line capacity doesn’t allow you to carry the weight to heavy fish.
On the contrary, round profile reels mostly have everything opposite to it. Usually, anglers prefer low profile reels for bait casting as it provides more precision, control, and convenience.
No doubt, the material plays an important role in the selection of baitcasting reel. Generally, two types of material are common aluminum and graphite. Aluminum is heavyweight but durable. It tends to get corrosion, though different companies provide paint protection and anodized body. On the other hand, graphite is lightweight and corrosion-free but not as durable as an aluminum reel. Although aluminum made reel is relatively expensive, but anglers prefer it for durability.
5. Gear Ratio
The gear ratio of a reel is the amount of length of line that can be retrieved per crank. Greater the gear ratio more, the length can be reeled in a single crank of the handle. The lower ratio works well with heavy crankbaits in which you cast deeper and big fish, while a higher ratio works well with jigs and buzz baits. For bait casting 7:1:1 gear ratio is suitable.
Here is the List of 5 Best Casting Reels
- Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 4000 XG FB
- KastKing Royale Legend GT/Whitemax Baitcasting Reels
- Pflueger Supreme XT
- RUNCL TITAN I
- Okuma Ceymar
Review of the 5 Best Casting Reels
The brand is well-known among the anglers community. Carbon fiber construction material is used for the body, is relatively lightweight. A higher gear ratio allows you to retrieve 39 inches of line per crank. It consists of 6 ball bearings, and one roller bearing provides helpful smoothness in motion. The G-design provide you with water and corrosion resistant product.
- Lightweight carbon fiber body.
- Material is corrosion resistant.
- Smooth Retrieving.
- Proper oiling maintenance required.
- The Anti-backlash system is not present.
The company is known for its variety of products in this line. The unit we are talking about is a low profile. It is specially designed for bait casting. Although it’s a relatively lightweight but will surprise you with sturdiness and smoothness that it offers. The product offers you a dual braking system of a magnetic brake and centrifugal system. The ball bearings are shielded, assuring corrosion-resistance to be used in both saltwater and freshwater.
- The construction material of great quality.
- Ball bearings are shielded.
- Relatively lightweight.
- The Brake system is excellent.
- Very noisy in the beginning.
This Pflueger product is also very famous among anglers. The material used in the construction of this exquisite reel is magnesium, known for long-lasting capabilities and lightweight. The reel has ten stainless steel bearing, which provides smooth motion; also, it has double anodized spool. The line length of 33.7 inches is a retrievable per crank. The unit can lift fish of 12 pounds easily.
- They have sealed bearings system.
- Handle possessing EVA foam.
- Great Anti-backlash system.
- Magnesium lightweight body.
- Over the timing, gear starts to grind.
This RUNCL product is elegant, looking, and amazingly engineered. The reel uses hollow body design, which assures you a lightweight unit. It has a full metal body with two anodized and carbon fiber washer, which increases the drag capacity by 40% and has a maximum drag of 33 to 44 pounds. The reel has solid pinion brass gear and consists of 10 stainless steel shielded ball bearings. It has aluminum vented spool.
This reel is known for versatility as it can be useful in all kinds of water and conditions. It has great value for money.
- Corrosion-resistant seal bearings.
- Enhanced drag ability.
- Lightweight design
- Useful under all conditions.
- It does not have swappable handles; it creates a problem for left hand and right-hand variation.
The product is known for its convenience as it easy to control. This product of Okuma comes in different fish carrying capacity and line.
The handle EVA foam is provided to give comfort to anglers. Although spool is of aluminum, it is double anodized to resist corrosion. It has machine cut brass pinion gear and has a great anti-reverse system. The drag capacity is 5 pounds maximum.
- It possesses 8 bearings.
- 20 percent thicker shaft
- Easy to use and control.
- Double tone anodized spool.
- With time start making noise.
As I have gone through each of them now, my suggestion would be KastKing Royale Legend GT/Whitemax. The product is the best option for baitcasting, as it has a strong, durable construction. Its brake system wipes it the error of casting between an expert and newbie. Also, The product comes at a reasonable price.