Saltwater fishing requires quality reels with high-end corrosion resistance that can easily make your fishing successful while you fight large fish species. There are endless saltwater fishing reels; however, a professional angler needs a perfect fishing reel worth investing. Let’s discuss the best saltwater spinning reels that fishers can use for a positive outcome.
- PENN 1338217 BATTLE II 2500 SPINNING FISHING REEL
- SHIMANO STRADIC CI4+ 4000 XG FB SPINNING FISHING REEL WITH FRONT DRAG
- Okuma Cold Water Line counter Trolling Reel
- Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel
- Sougayilang Fishing Reel Spinning
Before you read the full review of each of the products, take a look at the following information which will help you in making your decision.
HOW TO CHOOSE A SPINNING REEL
Keep in mind the following things before buying a spinning reel.
SIZE OF REEL
Spinning reels come in many sizes and paired with the correct rod to give a balanced setup. Have a look at the most common size of spinning reels.
- It is the smallest size of spinning reel used for small fish species and the lightest lure
- Same as a 1000 size reel, however, the only difference is, a 2500 size reel has a much better line capacity and a slightly larger spool
- The 3000 size reel has excellent line capacity provides higher breaking strain lines and can target large species
- These reels have a robust drag system and cranking power that is Ideal to trap large fish for example salmon, pike and specimen sized trout
- These reels are popular to use for catching hard fish species and tropical species like barracuda. Many fishers use this reel in a deep hard flowing river that needs extra cranking power.
Gear ratio shows how many turns a spool can make, commonly 4.8:1 – 5.4:1 Ratio used by fishermen that accommodates good line retrieval rate and also control lures that create a lot of drag within water.
High-quality ball bearings are a necessary component in a reel because it delivers smooth dragging power. Quality reels use enough ball bearings that indicate better action.
Reels are made of different materials like Aluminum, Plastic, Graphite, and metal (these are common body materials). Many anglers prefer aluminum bodies because they are strong and corrosion-resistant, capable of handling large fish and lightweight compared to metal bodies. Plastic and graphite are also lightweights; however, not as strong and durable as aluminum body reels.
USE OF SPINNING REEL
Spinning reels can be useful in many situations.
- When you have to target smaller sized fish species
- when you are a beginner because it is easy to use
- when you want something affordable and worth buying
- when your lures are lightweight
ADVANTAGES OF SPINNING REEL
- Cheaper to shop for
- Easy to modify left and right-hand orientations
- Easy to feature for more line capacity
- Easier to use
QUALITIES OF A GOOD SALTWATER FISHING REEL
The reel power is determined by strength, gear, and ratio. Metal gears can withstand the high load pressure of saltwater fishing. Reels come with different gear ratios; the lower ratio is 4:1, which retrieves more slowly. However, it gives more control and higher gear ratio 6:1, which retrieves lines faster that is ideal for quick-moving bait.
The retrieval speed must be faster than average to confirm you don’t lose your catch within the process, Find a reel with quick speed because the slower it’s, the more limited you’re.
Reel with a higher number of ball bearings inclined to be more durable and smoother.
FAQS about spinning reels
What size of the spinning reel should be use?
Commonly 3000 sized, reel is used by anglers because it has a greater line capacity and can easily hold up large and small fish species.
How many ball bearings should be in a reel?
Ball-bearing gives smooth action; however, having high-quality ball bearings are important. Commonly six or seven ball bearings considered to deliver smooth reeling.
Is aluminum body reel good for saltwater fishing?
Aluminum body reel is preferred to be used by fishers because it easily handles large species. It is lightweight, and corrosion-resistant.
Reviews for best saltwater spinning reels
Penn 1338217 Battle II 2500 Spinning Fishing Reel comes with an attractive design and smooth drag system. Many anglers used this reel because of the HT-100 drag system and carbon fiber drag washers. It has 5 sealed stainless steel ball-bearing and anti-reverse bearings. It easily drags out fish species with Heavy-duty aluminum bail wireline. A fisherman buys this reel or even young anglers because it is easy to use, affordable and durable.
- High-range spinning reel
- It is ideal for trapping big saltwater gamefish
- It has a full metal body and side plate
- Durable heavy-duty aluminum bail
- It has smooth dragging system
- It has 5 sealed stainless steel ball bearings with anti-reverse bearing
- Has greater line capacity
- Very easy turning and smooth
- Super line Spool
- Good solid reel for inshore fishing
- Harder to crank
- May scratch
- a bit heavier
- Can be rusted
- Does not have a very smooth drag system
- It does not have good retrieving
Shimano stradic is a high-performance spinning reel that provides fishermen a better outcome. The strong and smooth drag system works great for both inshore and offshore fishing. A lightweight reel that you can use the whole day. It comes with a high line capacity and powerful drag that handle large fish species
- This reel provides long-lasting, durable and robust performance and smoothness
- Work great for both inshore and offshore action
- Gear ratio is 6.0:1
- It has a power pro line cap and monoline cap
- Magnumlite Rotor
- It has carbon body and cold-forged aluminum spool
- It has 6 ball bearings and 1 roll bearing
- Smooth reeling
- Good for inshore fishing
- Might be broke after some use
- Difficult to catch large fish species sometimes
- It has weak ball bearings
- Weak spool line holder
- Not suitable for braided line
- Can be rusted in saltwater
The Okuma Cold Water Line counter is a well-made, high-quality reel. It has a short twist of the handle on line release lever that is easy to view and reset line counter. The unique drag system holds up fish, and you can manage big fish with lighter lines. It is a fantastic reel at a great price.
- Made with the highest quality materials
- Used by many professional anglers
- Has Quality finish
- It has a corrosion-resistant frame and side plates
- Stainless steel ball bearings
- Powerful drag system
- It has cut brass pinion gears
- Dual anti-reverse bearing
- It has a full Carbonite drag system
- Has amazing Rubber grip
- Heavy reel
- Weak drag system
- a bit noisier
- The Pinion gear started skipping after some use
- The clicker is loud
- May scratch after some use
Daiwa Bg Spinning reel consists of seven ball bearings and a single roller bearing for super-smooth performance. It is a waterproof reel with excellent line capacity. It is smooth, steady, and provides you the confidence to handle bigger species. The reel is designed for saltwater environment, and the dual anti-reverse system works best during saltwater fishing.
- Smooth Casting and Retrieval
- It has a waterproof drag system
- The powerful and smooth gear system
- Polished look
- It has Cut Aluminum ABS Spool
- It has Manual Return Bail
- Great line capacity
- Anti-reverse system
- Waterproof design
- Can be noisier after some use
- The body may scratch
- It is bulky
- This reel cannot handle big fish
- Does not have a very smooth drag system
Sougayilang fishing reel is specially designed for saltwater fishing and fights large fish species easily. The lightweight aluminum handle gives extra leverage and control. It has 12+1 pieces of ball bearing that provide smooth action and make it different from other reels.
- Hardened metal shaft
- High-speed retrieval
- Lightweight aluminum handles with EVA knobs
- Easily fight large fish in both fresh and saltwater fishing
- 12+1 ball bearings
- Comfortable use
- High-quality construction
- Greater line capacity
- Deliver smooth action
- Strong drag system
- Spool with high tensile gear
- May deteriorate after some use
- A bit noisy
- Difficult to crank sometimes
The high-quality reel is a must-have whether you’re offshore, inshore, or saltwater fishing. An excellent reel can easily subdue the larger, stronger, faster, and harder fighting fish. In my opinion, the Sougayilang Fishing Spinning reel has many features that a fisher can buy to make his fishing experience enjoyable. It has 12+1 ball bearings that deliver smooth action and easily catch large fish species. It has greater line capacity and smooth drag which is easy to adjust. It is also an inexpensive and durable and fast retrieval reel with 5.2:1/5.1:1 gear ratio. It has all the necessary factors which a professional angler wants for a successful fishing trip.