Kayaking is an all in one sport and hobby. Kayak fishing is a convenient and leisurely experience, if that you’ve got the right kayak. Kayaks have been extremely expensive in the past, as the material being employed was pricey. That has fortunately changed due to technological advancement. In this article, you’ll find all the vital information related to kayaking and details of some the best kayaks under 1000.
Pros of Using a Kayak for Fishing
Kayak fishing is for anyone who wants to make fishing a wholesome experience. There are many reasons why kayak fishing is preferred by anglers.
5 Significant Advantages of Using a Kayak are:
- Kayaks are inexpensive as compared to motorized fishing boats. You save on gas and maintenance as well, as a kayak is not fitted with any complicated parts.
- The water vehicle doesn’t create noise or movement that would scare the fish away, making the job tougher. It also makes for a relaxed fishing environment.
- Their small size is ideal for use in shallow and small bodies of water. This allows easy access to difficult spots, and places where one is most likely to find fish.
- Storage is not a hassle with kayaks as they can easily be stored in small spaces or can be hung on a garage or other wall. Foldable kayaks are also available that can simply be deflated and placed in the trunk of your car.
- Transporting a kayak is super convenient as you can just rope it to your vehicle, unlike a boat that needs to be hauled behind a vehicle. This allows more people to take up fishing.
When is a Good Time to Buy a Kayak?
There could be different reasons for a person to buy a kayak. It could be because you’re new to kayaking or because you’re a seasoned kayaker and need a new one. Still, like anything else that we buy, you need to be sure you make the buy at the right time. So when is the right time to get yourself a kayak?
1. Seasonal Sales
Great offers can be found on kayaks at different times of the year, giving one ample deal to choose from. Springtime is when kayaking is about to take off, and you may come across deals at the time. Similarly, kayaking is less in fall, which sets the stage for sales. Sometimes on different festivals like Christmas, there could be reasonable offers on kayaks.
2. Find Preloved kayaks
To get good value for your money and save as well, buying old and used kayaks is a smart option. One could check out Facebook and websites like Craigslist to avail excellent offers.
3. Older Models
Sometimes unlike manufacturers, local dealers can offer excellent bargains on older models. Be sure to look up a local dealer and look into any deals on earlier models.
Buyer’s Guide for Buying the Right Kayak for Fishing
Kayaks can be for recreational purposes as well as for fishing. Nature lovers would enjoy paddling into a calm lake for the meditative feeling kayaking gives. But to use a kayak for fishing is another thing. There are many reasons why using kayaks for fishing is on the rise. So how do you buy the right kayak for fishing?
5 Things that you need to consider when buying a Kayak
- A sit on top kayak is best for fishing as it is easier to get on to whether you want to get off for a stretch or get back on after having fallen over. It is more user friendly for anglers as it provides a more comfortable vantage point while fishing. A sit-in kayak proves to be a better choice only in colder climate as it allows for better protection from getting splashed.
- Length of the kayak is critical when you’re planning to go kayak fishing. A longer and narrower kayak will make your fishing experience more efficient. Yet, if you’re looking into fly fishing or sight casting, then a shorter and broader kayak would do. On the downside, a shorter kayak would be slower, while a narrow kayak will be easily manoeuvrable and faster.
- To pedal or to paddle is another requirement you need to be sure of. Even if you’re willing to use a pedal kayak to keep your hands free, a paddle should be kept handy. It makes manoeuvring the kayak less cumbersome under challenging spots.
- Buy a kayak with a keel if you fish in deep waters as it improves the speed of the kayak. If you plan on going into shallow as well as deep waters, then a model with a retractable keel will do you good.
- Choose a kayak that offers storage as there is always a lot of gear when going fishing. You might be interested in external storage for things like crates, or other internal spaces near the hull for your gear.
Now that you have an understanding of what to look for in a kayak, we can move on to the best choices available in under $1000. Over here you’ll find the seven best as far as cost goes, as well as performance and stability:
Here is the list of 7 Best Kayaks Under 1000
- Perception Pascador Pro 12
- Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 110
- Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90
- Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100
- Sun Dolphin Aruba
- Sevylor Quikpak K1
Review of the 7 Best Kayak under 1000
Perception is well-reputed for manufacturing boats since the last 4 decades. Their carefully built kayaks have been known to lure people into kayaking.
With the sit-on-top Pescador Pro 12, they offer an adjustable and removable, roomy seat. The seat can be raised for casting or lowered to sit back and enjoy the kayaking experience. Its almost like a garden chair for the kayak.
Stretch your legs if you want by sliding the seat back when needed, thus providing extra leg space. Turn the seat into a camp chair while camping. The large tank wells, one fitted with mesh and the other with elastic bungee straps, at the back and the front of the boat provide enough space for gear storage. Two-rod holders help in a hands-free kayaking experience.
The leakproof structure of the boat assures complete safety for fish finders with built-in buoyancy. Fishfinders will find it perfectly stable even while standing and will remain drier. It is stable even for people on the tall and heavy side. Generally lighter than most kayaks, it is easier to haul onto your car for transportation.
- Stable in all kinds of waters
- More suitable for frequent anglers
- Generous storage space
- The adjustable garden seat doesn’t impress everyone and seems like an unnecessary feature at this cost.
- The pole rods can get in the way of the paddles, thus proving to be a nuisance.
- Accommodates only one person.
Also, read the Review of Best Fishing Kayak Under 300.
Comfortable and expansive kayak design, by a relatively new manufacturer. The Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost has an integrated rudder system that doesn’t need much effort to manoeuvre on windy days. It has excellent storage options with a bungee tank rear tank as well as a rear hatch and a front hatch. With some superb engineering, this kayak assists anglers of all sizes not just in their fishing experience but in their journey as well. Extra features worth mentioning include a built-in cup holder and a magnetic tackle tray for your lures.
- Excellent tracking
- Comes with quite a few fishing accessories
- Dual-position seat
- Does not come with rod holders
- Anglers may feel the absence of hand control for the rudder
- A bit heavy as compared to others, making it less portable
- Single seater
Also, read the Review of the 7 Best River Fishing Kayak.
Another sit on the top model that gives excellent comfort and value for money is the Vibe Kayak Skipjack 90 with its ergonomic and cushioned seat. The compact build of the kayak is extremely lightweight and easily portable in any SUV. All kinds of cargo can easily be stored away in deep front and back hatches that are sealed to ensure protection from water. Built-in buoyancy of this single piece, leakproof and durable vehicle gives peace of mind as the kayak can safely travel long distances. Greater comfort comes with the easy access to the four fishing rod holders; footrests to suit people of any height and weight and cup holders. The material used to construct the kayak is durable and slip-resistant.
- Lightweight and durable
- Versatile watercraft
- Seat buckles are of inferior quality and do not hold.
- The front is heavy when not in the water, making it difficult to carry.
- The kayak seats only one person.
Also, read the Review of 10 Best Inflatable Fishing Boats.
Perfect for two adults, this inflatable tandem kayak is built with puncture-resistant vinyl and comes with a high output pump, repair kit and a carry bag. The boat can easily be spotted with its vibrant colour and graphics. It is ideal for smaller bodies of water, with calmer water.
Though, some users have taken it in deeper waters and the open sea and had a safe and smooth experience. With a Boston valve on each side, the kayak is easy to inflate and deflate. It carries weight easily, even if it exceeds the mentioned capacity.
A removable skeg makes tracking smooth, especially if you paddle nice and fast. The inflatable I-beam floor adds to the stability and sturdiness of the kayak. An added accessory worth mentioning is the 86” aluminium oars. The seats are easily removable and can also be adjusted on double strips of Velcro provided to secure them.
- The structure and design of the boat make it extremely portable
- The material used makes it rugged and durable
- The removable skeg can be misplaced affecting the kayak’s tracking.
- The kayak cannot be used solo.
- It isn’t straightforward to fix a tear.
Also, read the Review of the 5 Best Trolling Motor Battery.
This sit-on-top beauty that seats one person is built with UV protected, high-density polyethene. It comes with three fishing pole holders, two of which are flush while the other is an adjustable top mount.
Different size riders can comfortably use the kayak with the adjustable footrest. Storage is also convenient with 6” compartments in the back and the front and a paddle keeper with shock cords. Seating is relaxing on a seat pad with an adjustable backrest. It is stable and tracks well in most kinds of water. It isn’t precisely fancy at 10’, but the sturdiness and proper tracking win hearts.
- Rod holders are firm and do not wobble
- The paddle can be tied by a bungee in a paddle cradle
- The hull design allows greater stability
- You need to throw in a cushion for better seating.
- The hatches lead to the entire hull, so expect water bottles to roll into it.
- The packaging isn’t great, which might damage the kayak during delivery.
- Storage compartments aren’t deep enough.
Also, read the Review of 5 Best Deep Cycle Battery For Trolling Motor.
This single-person kayak is a sit-in which clearly assures your safety while fishing. It’s excellent for use in the sun because of its rugged UV-stabilized Fortiflex high-density polyethene body. It allows for comfortable leg space with its raised adjustable seat and adjustable foot pedals.
The cockpit is extensive, which is excellent for taller people, and getting inside the boat is a breeze. It tracks super smoothly and bears weight very well. It’s lightweight and has carrying handles on either side for easy portage. It comes with a storage hatch, paddle holder and a cup holder. It offers excellent stability and tracks very well in calm waters.
- Can be easily carried on any vehicle
- Has greater capability carry weight as compared to other similar boats
- Excellent worth for the price
- This model doesn’t come with a paddle.
- Other kayaks are considered more durable.
- The seat isn’t fully adjustable and is not cushioned.
Also, read the Review of the 5 Best Fishing Waders.
This inflatable sit-on-top watercraft comes with an innovative backpack. You’ll find yourself hitting the waters within a few minutes of unpacking. It is easy to store for obvious reasons. If it were to strike a snag, the multiple air chambers help it stay afloat. The tarpaulin structure is sturdy and reliable.
The back can unfold into a comfortable backrest and a seat more comfortable than most hardshell kayaks offer. Double lock valves on both sides make inflating it super easy. Riders of all heights find seating very comfortable in it with great leg space and multi-position footrest. Cargo can easily be packed away into the front bungee storage area, and the drink holder is equally accessible. The kayak comes with a foldable, easy to store paddle and a high-pressure hand pump.
- Folds up easily
- Inflates easily
- Great storage and easy access to gear
- The kayak slightly sinks from the centre.
- Not suitable for someone with the heavier torso.
- Not suitable for open sea or fast-flowing water.
Also, read How Fishing Makes You Healthier And Happier.
As far as comfort, money and maintenance go kayaks are the safest choice for newbies as well as experts.
All the kayaks discussed here are easily affordable and offer great features, and would hopefully make it easier for you to decide on the right kayak for yourself.
For me, the clear winner is the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak for its comfort and ease. Tandem seating in this inflatable sit-on-top model increases its utility. Especially if you have a partner to go kayaking with, this is the best buy for its price. It is hassle-free and safe, and absolutely great in the water.