A good hiking pillow helps you to spend a peaceful night in a tent or on a long ride. Hiking pillows have been around for a long time. In the past, people used synthetic foam fill materials. But now inflatable hiking pillows have taken their place.
This newer style of hiking pillows takes less space and feels more cozy and comfy. Are you going to hunt the best hiking pillow for your next camping trip? If yes, then this informative guide might be helpful for you. Here, I have shared the 8 best hiking pillows. Before having a look at products, let’s dig into some important details.
Quick Gear Recommendation
Below is a list of our favourite hiking gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best Shorts: Tru-spec Men’s 24-7 Series Tactical Shorts
- Best Jackets For Cold Weather: The North Face Men’s Insulated Jacket
- Best Gloves: Mountain Made 2.0 Genesis Gloves
- Best Shoes For Flat Feet: Salomon Men’s Quest Hiking Boots
- Best Boots Under 100: Keen Men’s Targhee Ii Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Best Insoles: Timberland Pro Men’s Anti-fatigue Insole
- Best Boots For Overpronation: Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Hiking Boot
- Best Boots Under 50: Sanearde Men’s Hiking Boots Insulated Hiker
- Best Compact Binoculars: Carson 3d Series Hd Waterproof Binoculars
- Best Knife: Opinel Stainless Steel Folding Knives
- Best First Aid Kit: First Aid Only 299 Piece
- Best Fanny Pack: Osprey Talon 6 Men’s Lumbar Hiking Pack
- Best Dog Backpack Carrier: Petami Pet Carrier Backpack For Dogs
- Best Microspikes: Kahtoola Microspikes Footwear Traction
Things to Consider Before Buying a Hiking Pillow
In past years, hiking pillows were all filled with foam and synthetic fiber. Today, advance inflatable pillows manufacture with ergonomic indentations. These hiking pillows bring superb comfort for your head. Moreover, you can also adjust the air pressure according to your preferences. There are some important points that you should keep in mind before buying a hiking pillow. Such as:
The most important thing to look at inflatable pillows is their fabric. You are buying a hiking pillow only to get a comfortable sleep during the night. Therefore, it is important to confirm that you are buying a high-quality fabric pillow. The sub-standard fabric of the pillow not only feels uncomfortable but also causes pain in your neck.
The weight of the pillow is another important point to take notice of. Are you going to hike in more than one place? If yes, then it is beneficial to go with a lightweight camping pillow. During the hiking, it is difficult to carry so much weight on shoulders. That’s why it is necessary to keep your backpack lightweight.
Size & Shape
The size and shape of the hiking pillow also have a great effect on its comfort level. A little too much tiny pillow will not deliver you the comfort that you seek. The main purpose of the travel pillow is to provide support to your neck and head. So, carefully buy the right size of the pillow that fits perfectly for your head. The size and shape of the travel pillow have a great effect on its portability. During hiking & camping, you are not going to stay in one place. Always go with an ergonomic design hiking pillow. So, your head stays on the comfortable spot all-night long.
Best Hiking Pillows
If you want the best hiking pillow, then try to look past inflatables. Unlike other inflatables, this Trekker pillow case gets its cushioning with the clothes that you take with you. The comfort level of your pillow depends on the right material of the clothes. This Therm-a-Rest hiking pillow is lightweight and doesn’t slip away during sleep. This hiking pillow is feather-light and weighs only 2.3 ounces. This trekker stuff-able pillow case is flexible enough to fit in your shirt’s pocket.
You can use this Trekker hiking pillow in the car, in a tent, and even on plans. Each pillow of Term-a-Rest has passed a specific test. These hiking pillows are popular in the market for ultimate comfort, durability, and support.
- It is a feather-light pillow best for weight-conscious hikers.
- Easily stuff-able with any soft clothing material
- The polyester exterior gives a luxurious surface to relax.
- This hiking pillow pack is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
- This ultra-compact pillow is soft enough and doesn’t slip due to head movement.
- This Therm-a-Rest hiking pillow is expensive as compared to others.
Cocoon Air-Core is one of the best inflatable pillows in the market. This HYPERLIGHT hiking pillow uses inflatable air core in its layers. The polyester fiber of this pillow provides comfortable support. This Cocoon airtight pillow has a nylon shell that makes it easy to rest your head in position. This Cocoon pillow sits snug and inflates easily. This HYPERLIGHT travel pillow can easily fit in the hood of the tent. This hiking pillow has a very cozy rectangular shape. This travel pillow doesn’t have any neck outline and scalloped edge.
- This inflatable air core pillow folds down to a compact size
- This Cocoon hiking pillow has a valve
- This travel pillow is easily adjusted with its twisted cap mechanism.
- This Air-Core hiking pillow has a zip seal for adjusting the pressure of air.
- Its twist seal style is not trustable.
- This hiking pillow is quite expensive as compared to other products.
This Aeros ultralight pillow is the best hiking pillow for weight-conscious hikers. This Sea to Summit hiking pillow is manufactured in the USA under great supervision. This polyester travel pillow might work best for you if you seek cozy night sleeps. This Aeros Ultralight Pillow is made with high-quality Knit fabric & TPU bladder.
This backpack hiking pillow executes a well-balanced weight. This Sea to Summit hiking pillow has a two-part valve system. This amazing feature allows you to deflate & inflate the pillow easily.
- It inflates into a comfortable regular size that easily fits in the sleeping bag
- This hiking pillow only weighs 2.1 ounce
- This hiking pillow packs into an ultra-Sill case smaller than a regular ibuprofen bottle
- This Sea to Summit travel pillow inflates with just 5 to 7 breathes
- It features mini-multi vale function with easy adjustment
- This ultra-light feature hiking bag is labeled expensive.
This ultralight Premium pillow offers exceptional durability and reliability. This hiking pillow features an effective valve function. This Sea to Summit pillow doesn’t slip or slide during the slide and perfectly fits in your bag hood. This traveling pillow also works best as a car camping pillow.
This Green Large Aeros premium pillow is manufactured with brush 50D polyesters. The synthetic filling between the pillow case makes it softer and durable. The enhance TPU bladder wicks away moisture and provides more comforts.
- This Sea to Summit pillow has multi-function adjusting valve system
- This hiking pillow inflates in 5 to 7 breathes.
- It has a scalloped bottom edge easily center your pillow.
- This hiking pillow has curved internal baffles that create neck outlines.
- Unlike other products, this hiking pillow is heavy to carry.
This TREKOLOGY hiking pillow is large in size and suitable for two people. This ultralight inflating pillow has a unique valve system. This travelling pillow uses a single button to open and seal the airway. It is one of the biggest traveling pillows and quite durable. This biggest pillow folds down in 5*2 inches that easily fit in a soda can. This travelling pillow has a unique and advanced ergonomic design. This dreamer comfort air pillow is designed to give superior support to the neck and head.
This is a non-slippery TERKOLOGY inflating pillow. That means there is no more slipping off from your pillow. The back of the pillow is made up of high-resistant material. It effectively prevents your head from moving around.
- This inflatable pillow delivers great limber and head support
- The enhanced design of this hiking pillow has added layers of synthetic fiber
- This hiking pillow only takes 3 to 5 breathes for inflation
- It is easy-to-use, and valve system is easily adjustable with a button
- This Inflating pillow is large in size as compared to others.
- Not all hikers can afford this TERKOLOGY inflating pillow.
This one is a pretty large hiking pillow from Exped, and it is suitable for 2 persons. This travelling pillow is ultra-lightweight, weighs only 1.2 ounces. This UL air camping pillow has a unique Anatomical shape that gives perfect support to the neck and shoulders. The layers of this Hiking pillow from Exped are filled with foam and make it easy-to-carry.
- This hiking pillow has an easily adjustable valve system
- This traveling pillow is coated with Honey-comb anti-slip Grip-skin
- This hiking pillow has a deflation pin for quick inflation & deflation
- This hiking pillow is not suitable for long hiking trips
- The crinkly material of this traveling pillow cause irritating sound
This Klymit X inflatable pillow is extremely supportive, durable, and comfortable. This might be the perfect pillow for your hiking, camping, car trip, and traveling. This Klymit hiking pillow has a unique ergonomic design. This product features an X self-center design that keeps your head comfortably oriented. The height of the pillow is easily adjustable by releasing air pressure. This Klymit traveling pillow is ultralight, weighs only 1.9oz.
- The firmness of this hiking pillow is easily adjustable for customized support
- This luxurious hiking pillow packs down in size of the lighter
- It takes only 1 or 2 breathes for inflating this traveling pillow
- This compact size pillow easily fits in the back of your bag hood.
- This hiking pillow is made up of uncomfortable crinkle material
- It is expensive as compared to similar products
This Ultralight Compressible travel pillow is manufactured in the USA. This polyester hiking pillow is filled with the foam. The comfortable ergonomic design makes this product best for short camping and road trips. This traveling pillow, with its 4inches thick pad, provides support to the head and shoulders. This traveling pillow from Therm-a-Rest has a drawstring and cord lock. This feature keeps the compact form of the pillow when not in use.
- This hiking pillow is machine washable
- The compact design of this variant packs into a duffle or suitcase
- The coating of polyester feels comfortable against the skin
- The layers of this traveling pillow are filled with lofty urethane
- This hiking pillow is not suitable for long hiking trips
- The polyester surface of this pillow is a little bit slippery
Above, I have mentioned the 6 best-hiking pillows that you can select. Among all of them, Trekker Stuff-able Backpacking Pillow Case from Therm-a-Rest is my favorite. It is not an inflatable pillow, but it guarantees to never pop-up. This hiking pillow offers great support and comfort for your neck and head. It is a stuff-able camping pillow. The comfort of this pillow depends on the clothes you stuff in it. In short words, this hiking pillow delivers great value.