If you are one of those, who loves adventure, mainly a camping trip in the wilderness. In that case, you must have known the importance of a good, portable, camping tent. Like any other structure, your tent also needs a solid foundation to bear any environmental wear and tear, such as strong winds, heavy rain, dust storms, etc.
QUICK GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS
Below is a list of our favourite backpacking gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
Thanks to developments in material science and smart innovations in designs, we have some great options to choose from when it comes to buying tent stakes. They have come a long way from the old-school shepherd’s hook pegs or simply using big, heavy stones to hold your tent.
I have chosen and reviewed the eight best stakes available for camping tents. Still, first, you might want to take a look at some of the most important features you should consider before making a purchase.
Title Image View
MSR Groundhog Tent Stake Kit, 6-Pack, Regular... View Price
Coleman 10-In. Steel Tent Stakes View Price
MSR Blizzard Stake Kit View Price
Ti Shepherds Hook Stake Orange View Price
MSR Carbon Core 6-Inch Tent Stake, 4 Pack View Price
SE Heavy-Duty Metal Tent Pegs Stake Set... View Price
TNH Outdoors 10X Aluminum Tri-Beam Tent... View Price
HJH Outdoor Products Pack of 6 Orange Color... View Price
The material used in their making will determine their strength, durability, and weight.
- Steel stakes: They are very strong and durable, but heavy as compare to others.
- Carbon fiber stakes: They are not very strong or extremely durable, but are super light.
- Aluminum: These offer excellent holding power, plus they are light-weight but can lose their shape quickly.
- Titanium alloy: Titanium is quite strong and durable, but more expensive as compare to others. It is 45% lighter than steel and 2x more durable than Aluminum but won’t rust or corrode.
- Plastic: Plastic tent pegs can give some security and secure hold, when used on the correct ground and are particularly useful for guy-line pegging.
- Wood: Wooden stakes are also available in the market, but in my opinion, they are not as durable and sturdy as its other counterparts, as it can break off easily.
Types of Tent Stake:
Tent stakes come in a variety of designs, each being manufactured for use on specific ground conditions. You need to be well aware of the differences if you want optimal results when you set-up your tent at different locations. Here are a few other types to consider instead of your basic hook stakes:
- Utility stakes: These plastic stakes are less expensive, and can offer high durability. Their Y-shape design keeps them from twisting in the ground. Although the longer length and bigger surface area gives them good holding power but being plastic, they aren’t great for driving into hard ground. They are typically very wide and longer than metal pegs and are used for softer ground types, sand, and light soils.
- V-stakes: If you want light-weight and inexpensive stakes, Aluminum is the right choice. But the problem is that Aluminum can bend easily. The V-shape of these stakes keeps them from bending and makes them more durable. The added rigidness makes them suitable for different soil types such as sandy, hard or rocky soil.
- Nail stakes / T-Stakes: These stakes look like large nails. Their pointed end drives smoothly into the ground with the flat, or plastic T-shape head offering an excellent surface to apply pressure. They are often made from steel or titanium and are light-weight, durable, and work on a wide variety of soil types. They’re comparatively expensive, and their limited holding power makes them more suited to use with smaller tents.
- Y-stakes: The 3 sided Y-beam design of these stakes provides extra holding power in a wide variety of grounds. The extra strength of the stake means they can handle being hammered into the rocky soil. The additional surface area also means they’ll stay anchored in high winds.
- Snow stakes (U-shaped): They have a broader, U-shaped design to offer maximum surface area in slippery snow. They will often have holes cut in them to reduce weight. Usually made from titanium or steel, Aluminum gets brittle and prone to breaking when it gets cold.
If you are backpacking your camping kit and want to travel as lightly as possible, make sure not to buy too heavy stakes. Usually, steel ones are quite bulky as compare to others. If you’re covering a short distance before setting up your camp or traveling on your RV, then you can for a heavy-duty stake with more holding power and durability. You need to consider soil and weather conditions too.
Length and surface area:
The holding power of stakes is directly affected by their length and surface area. The surface area has a significant impact on how well your stakes stay in the ground. A shorter stake with a large surface area is more likely to perform better than a longer, thinner one. But you need to keep in mind that more surface area and length means more weight.
You’ll need to apply some force on the head, or top, of the stake. A flat-top will give you a more comfortable spot to press down with your hand. If you are going to set up your camp on very hard ground and hammer them in a little, then a flat top will give you more surface area to aim your blows.
The stakes should be easy to drive into the ground, even if it’s hard or rocky. A tapered tip will reduce the amount of force you need to apply. Although you don’t want the tip to be too tapered. The narrower the tip, the more likely it is to bend or break when they are being hammered.
Tent stakes can sometimes disappear once you detach the guy-lines. A high-visibility tent stake ensures you don’t leave them behind when you pack-up your stuff. Also, you are less likely to trip over them while walking around your campsite at night. Bright colored heads are great, and even glow in the dark tent stakes are also available on the market.
Where will you use them?
You should keep in mind the type of ground where the tent is to be set-up, like snow, soft soil, sand, hard or rocky soil, etcetera, before making a purchase. It is essential to know about gripping or holding strength of the ground and the ease of penetrating them in the ground on your campsite.
Below, I have selected and reviewed eight best camping stakes for you to choose according to your personal needs.
- 6-pack of lightweight, durable, and versatile camping and backpacking tent...
- Three-sided Y-beam design offers superior penetration and holding power in...
The MSR Groundhog Tent Stake is one of the best ones available at the market today. With six light-weight and durable camping and backpacking tent stakes, that can hold up to repeated pounding into various ground types. The three-sided Y-beam design offers excellent penetration and holding power, ensuring that tents stay securely staked out, even in rough weather conditions.
This light-weight, durable, and versatile camping and backpacking tent stakes stay put, securing guy lines. They come with an attached reflective pull loop that allows for easy removal. They are constructed from 7000-series Aluminum, which means they are light-weight, yet rugged. The kit includes six individual tent stakes; each weighs 0.46 ounces and measures 7.5 inches in length.
- Groove at the top.
- Very light-weight.
- Constructed from 7000-series Aluminum.
- Nylon pull-cord allows for easy removal.
- The three-sided design provides extra holding power.
- The neck is too thin.
- Continued pounding can break off its top easily.
- Doesn’t have a flat top.
- Prone to twist and slip on some grounds.
This one is great for stony or hard-packed ground. It has a versatile top, and comfortable, thread-through design for guy lines and hook for stakeout points. They are durable, high-impact, and plated steel stakes. The pack includes four 10 inches long tent stakes. This set of four stakes is zinc-plated to resist rust and can hold nearly any harsh weather environment. It’s heavy-duty and specially designed to take a beating from the mallet. Its versatile tip allows you to hook a tent’s stake loop to one side and thread or a guy line through the other.
- High impact polypropylene tops hold tent lines.
- Zinc plated to resist rust.
- Easy thread-through tops.
- The plastic tops can break off easily.
- Taking them out could be a little tricky, according to some users.
- Do not hold well in sand.
- Broad profile holds extremely well in Sand/snow
- Made from 7075-series aluminum
The broad profile of this stake allows it to hold extremely well in sand as well as snow. Constructed from 7075-series Aluminum, it is one of the most durable and sturdy camping stakes. A single stake weighs 21 g (.74 oz.) and measures 24 cm (9.5 in) in length. These Blizzard tent stake offers strength and holding power in harsh weather conditions that can cause other stakes to fail. The stake can also be used as a trowel. It is sold as a kit of 4 stakes in anodized red color.
- Release pretty easily.
- It can be used as a trowel due to its design.
- Holes helps in a firm grip.
- Held well in soft spring snow.
- Anodized color makes them easy to see.
- Perfect for the sandy beach.
- Just 4 stakes per pack.
- Bit heavier than others.
This Titanium Tent Stake in the classic shepherd’s hook design, with bright orange fluorescent coated top for increased visibility, is made in the USA. They provide outstanding durability and are easily the no.1 selling titanium tent stakes. They are Ultra-light at less than 1/3 an ounce each (8 grams) or 0.2 oz.
They are just 0.2 inches in diameter, with 8 ½ inches of the ground anchor. These larger Shepherd’s Hook style is designed to hold both your tent and guy lines securely in their place. They are the classic tent stake design and come in packs of six without a bag.
- Lighter packs at only .3 ounces each.
- Space-saving for your backpacks.
- Easy to spot orange coating.
- Very thin, which means they can easily bend.
- Not designed to grip correctly, making twisting and slipping a problem.
- Do not have added features like loops for guy lines or ropes.
- Lightweight, full strength carbon core tent stakes
- Utilizes a carbon fiber core for strength and rigidity, and an aluminum...
MSR proudly offers the lightest full-strength tent stake on the market, less than 6 grams per stake. The MSR Carbon Core 6-Inch Tent Stake uses a carbon-fiber core for strength and rigidity, and Aluminum covering for their durability. They are sold as a kit of four tent stakes, each stake measures six inches and weighs 0.2 ounces. MSR products are covered by a three-year limited warranty against manufacturing defects in materials and construction. Made in the USA.
- Built-in pull loop for easy removal.
- Very Light-weight.
- Durable 7000-series aluminum construction.
- Red-colored plastic tops for greater visibility.
- Three years of limited warranty.
- Pricier as compared to others.
- Just 4 in a pack.
- Loop is small.
- Not enough grip for soft soil and high winds.
- Made of galvanized steel for corrosion resistance
- Essential tool for anchoring canopies, landscape trims, patio/garden...
The SE 9NRC10 Heavy-Duty Metal Tent Pegs Stake Set (10-Pack) is one of the best tent stakes available on the market. They are perfect for camping purposes. You need to cover your overheads securely, as they can hold firm against heavy winds in the dirt, grass, sand, and rocky soils. The SE 9NRC10 Heavy-Duty Metal Tent Pegs Stake Set (10-Pack) provides its users with the best quality within budget-friendly price tags.
The SE 9NRC10 Heavy-Duty Metal Tent Pegs Stake Set (10-Pack) is constructed of galvanized steel for corrosion resistance. Moreover, they are super light and very strong, as they made of 7075 aluminum compounds. The weight of each stake is 12 grams, and they are half an inch in diameter. These stakes will provide a secure anchor for your tent as they are designed to grip in the soil to prevent slippage. Its “Y” design is suitable for a wide range of soil types.
- They are light in weight.
- Constructed with durable 7075 aluminum compound
- Innovative “Y” design for better grip
- Offers different color options.
- Limited length size available
- ✔ A BETTER DESIGN: All Tent Stakes are EXACTLY THE SAME, with so many...
- ✔ YOUR VOTE: The Outdoors is under threat from many factors and you as a...
TNH Outdoors 8X Aluminum Tri-Beam Tent Stakes with Bag is an innovative choice for camping lovers. The manufacturers have designed this product innovatively to provide its users with a comfortable journey. These tent stakes are highly visible, which prevents them from being lost in the long grass. The highly reflective paracord also provides easy removal and visibility.
These stakes are made of a durable 7075 aluminum compound, which makes them lighter and reliable. Made with innovative Y-design for an entirely secure grip, they come with eight ground stakes, all packaged in their own pouch. The manufacturer provides the best customer care service. They offer both refund and replacement policy if the customer is not satisfied.
- Constructed with durable 7075 aluminum compound
- Comes in two convenient sizes, XL and regular
- Innovative Y-design for a firmer grip
- Easy to set and remove
- Highly visible
- Large in size, so are more spacious.
- Package included 6 tent stakes
- 12"x 1.38" (L x W), Diameter of each Hole: 0.42"; Each weighs 1.8 oz
JH Outdoor Products Pack of 6 Orange Color Aluminum Tent Stakes are ideally designed for soft sand beach camping and camping in the snow. They are light in weight, portable and durable, keep your tent secure from blowing over. It comes with an excellent design that comes with a wider, longer stake with an innovative “U” shape, which allows it to remain more robust and durable for repetitive use.
JH Outdoor Products Pack of 6 Orange Color Aluminum Tent Stakes also features six holes measuring .42 inches in diameter. They are 1.38 inches wide and 12 inches long, weighing only 1.76 ounces each. These stakes come in packs of six.
JH Outdoor Products Pack of 6 Orange Color Aluminum Tent Stakes are easy to use and easy to remove, making them ideal for beach or winter camping. These are one of the best sand and snow tent stakes on the market, making them ideal for you to take them on your next camping adventures.
- Comes is size better for tent stability.
- Constructed with Aluminum for stronger strength.
- Innovative “U” style design makes them more durable.
- Comes with 6.42-inch diameter holes for easy rigging.
- These stakes may become unstable in harder packed snow.
These are the eight best tent stakes available in the market. But my choice will definitely be the MSR Blizzard Stake Kit. It offers various useful features such as it can be released pretty easily, can be used as a trowel, perfect for use on a sandy beach and soft spring snow. Its holes help in a firm grip. All these features will surely make your journey more relaxed, comfortable, and enjoyable.