Planning a trip for Hiking? And don’t need those humongous old bags with you just to carry some essential items such as water bottle, snacks, cigarettes and a lighter?
Waist packs are ideal for you to carry and will not be a burden on your shoulders as they are being tied around your waist, with proper ventilation!
One must have a waist pack with himself, on trips like hiking or going on a rough trip.
But as everything have its own limitations, it has some limitations as it cannot carry heavy objects.
Now let’s find out what are the important considerations that you need to keep in mind when buying a waist pack.
QUICK GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS
Below is a list of our favourite gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best hiking shorts:
- Best rain poncho for hiking:
- Best hiking jackets for cold weather:
- Best hiking gloves:
- Best winter hiking gloves:
- Best hiking shoes for flat feet:
- Best fanny pack for hiking:
- Best military backpack for hiking:
- Best dog backpack carrier for hiking:
- Best hiking knife:
- Best hiking pillow:
How to choose the best waist pack for hiking
When you are going on hiking, you will need a bottle (or two) of water. Water is important when hiking so you can keep hydrated.
If there would be a source of water on your way or at your destination, bringing a heavy water bottle may not be worth. However carrying a small bottle of water may still be worth it.
A waist pack may make your life easier as you can carry a small bottle of water with it.
If you have to carry a large bottle of water, then you need to keep capacity of the waist pack in mind. You need to beware how big a water bottle the waist pack can carry.
As science recommends, you should drink 33ml of water per kg body weight per day. But you need to drink more when you are exercising or temperature is high.
The waist pack should be made with durable material and must provide some weather protection.
Mostly waist packs are made with Nylon, polyester, polypropylene or canvas.
The material of waist pack should provide some ventilation.
The pockets of the waist pack must be spacious enough to help you carry handy gear. Plus they must be easily reachable, so that you can pick up any tool or water bottle easily.
A gender neutral waist pack may become handy if you are hiking with your partner.
Think if you need a waist pack that is gender neutral or you will be good with a waist pack that is gender specific. Some brands have created dedicated waist packs for men and women.
So think about it when buying a waist pack.
Advantages of waist backpack
A waist backpack is a very cozy and convenient.
It has the edge over the other bags for being spacious yet keeping your hands completely free.
Most waist pack are very light weight.
Nowadays, waist packs have several uses. For instance, if you are running sales, you can use it as a secure cashier’s box. Also, you can use them as a portable toolkit when hiking or cycling.
If you love to take your pets outdoors for long walks, it allows free movement as you keep essentials such as baggies and treats.
The Best ways to use Waist pack for hiking
Wearing around your waist:
Wearing it on the waist is a classic way of wearing it. As far as hiking is concerned, you can wear it at your natural waist, which is just above your belly button, where the torso is most small.
Try wearing waist pack on the front but slightly off-center.
Carrying waist pack across your chest:
Usually, these backpacks are worn around the waist.
But some people are usually more cautious than others. One can also wear a waist pack across the shoulder, or wear it across the chest with bag centered in front.
Because it fits close to your body, it will keep all your stuff within easy reach.
If you are going out for a day hike, where all you need is water to quench your thirst and room for few essentials, then Talon 6 is the waist pack to check out.
It has 2 zippered hip belt pockets to keep snacks and essentials and to secure the things, also it is quickly accessible on the go.
The best thing about this product is that a mesh-covered, die-cut slotted foam hip belt has been used to create a perfectly formed fit.
- It can carry 2 water bottles and in addition two included 570 ml BPA-free Pack Bottles
- Small front zippered compartment for lighter or other smaller essentials
- Wide, double-zip pocket panel access to main compartment
- Easily customizable and flexible hip belt with dual zip pockets.
- Breathable and flexible die-cut slotted foam for easy wearing.
- Extremely durable
- Small pockets
- No liner between the pockets
- Slightly uncomfortable to wear
- Waist strap is thin
The Hip Pack Race is the ideal companion to long summer trail runs, with plenty of storage for hydration, equipment, and nutrition. It is made with a lightweight nylon with a protective coating, 3D Air Mesh, and supportive EVA back padding.
This also features a 1.5-liter tank and an additional bottle holder to accommodate a lot of water. It’s an 11 inches waist backpack and it weighs around 1.1 pounds.
The best thing about this product is that it is water-resistant, so one doesn’t have to worry about things getting wet.
- Includes 1.5 L Reservoir for 20% more water
- Adjustable nylon straps & buckles
- Tool compartment for easy storage
- Nutrition compartment
- Magnetic tube clip keeps the drinking tube of your hydration bladder in position during your activity.
- Mobile phone pocket
- 2 year warranty
- Perfect for every waist size
- Hose is too short
- Weak water bladder
- Sip hose 5″ which is too short
- Weight not distributed over hips to prevent sagging/bouncing
- Longer hoses are not available from Evoc
The Tour pack is said to be the most modern waist pack of hikers and outdoor-minded travellers.
With a wide variety of flexible uses, this pack appears to become a treasured possession in any outdoor enthusiast’s wardrobe.
The Tour lumbar pack will become your outdoor safety net as it logs hundreds of thousands of miles of adventures around the world.
Mountainsmith provides a lifetime warranty on their goods to get you peace of mind with your backcountry investment. It has 11.5 inches bag and weighs around 1 pound
- Interior foam padded sleeve for carrying gadgets
- Smartphone compliant waist belt pockets (Suitable for even iPhone 6 + and Galaxy S6)
- Back panel pocket suitable for securing passport, boarding pass, etc.
- Hectic to put two bottles simultaneously
- Thick fabric can reduce ventilation
- Heavy zippers
- Oversized zipper heads
- Unnecessarily bulky/heavy
- Slightly overpriced.
- Ineffective design
Great for those day-to-day adventures or hiking. High Sierra Express also gives you a big, top-loaded compartment with plenty of space for an MP3 player, a zippered front accessory pocket for keys, IDs, and plenty of other extras to keep you going.
It’s 4 inches in length and it weighs around 4.8 Ounces.
- Both-side water mesh bottle pockets makes it easy to pick water bottle
- Adjustable side compression straps protect pack contents.
- Equipped with a 500 ml bottle of GE Lexan ® which is immune to shattering.
- Straps aren’t very secure
- Color is too camouflaged which is difficult to find in dark.
Great for walking, hiking, or biking, this pack provides convenient and stable lumbar hydration. Its 1.5 liters of hydration, the Flashflo is suitable for walking, biking, or riding. Using the middle belt to secure the pack on the move — the flexible air mesh back panel will keep it cool and comfortable even when it’s close.
The pack looks thin, but it has enough space to hold a trail map, snacks, wallets, keys, and an ultra-light cover.
- Crux delivers 20% more water per drink, with an ergonomic handle for quick refilling and an on / off lever to avoid leakage.
- Zippered telephone pocket conveniently positioned for easy access and storage.
- Reflectivity for early morning or evening cycles
- Dual reservoir compression straps cinch the reservoir into the small back for a secure, comfortable fit.
- Belt buckle for personalized fit
- Easy to find
- Comfortable to wear
- The belt will not stay tight.
- Single hose clip on the right side of the pack
- Bladder is weak, starts seaming
- Not good during jogging
- Bit overpriced
This waist-mounted SUP pack leaves your upper body free to find a move. Built as a water-friendly product, this product’s length is 16 x 7.5 x 4 inches and weighs around 11.2 ounces. So far this is the most unique backpack for hiking because it has a built in water holster.
This product is recommended for places where one doesn’t have to move much like fishing etc. In hiking or traveling it maybe not the best option.
- Antidote Reservoir features a simple to open / close cap and a low-profile design.
- Paddle Holster and Safety Whistling
- Compatible PFD
- It has a waterproof electronics case
- CamelBak has Lifetime Guarantee
- Unique color and design
- Comfortable to wear
- Not too heavy
- Good ventilation
- Breakable and made from cheap material
- Hose is too short
- Straps are short for fat people
- The waist straps are thin and can be used to build pinch points
- The bungee is useless, it did not even hold a cap.
- Regardless of cap positioning, it takes a little work to prevent the water from flowing out when the bladder is full.
- No water proof pocket
The Nike Lean 2 Bottle Waistpack is the perfect companion to your everyday training sessions.The two bottles of water with quick closure ensure the best possible hydration while running. You can get out your water bottles with one hand, and you don’t have to stop running. Get this belt and you’re well suited for your races. This product is 13inches in length and 7.05 Ounces in weight.
- Great match without slippage
- Better visibility thanks to reflective element
- Material: 55% Polyester and 45 % Nylon
- Very comfortable
- Light weight
- Great for extended run and hiking
- Bottles must be small to keep.
Everest has crafted the ultimate hydration pack for every scenario.
Constructed of durable and waterproof polyester that will be able to withstand the test of time.
The pack have three separate pockets that are wide enough to hold everything you may need for your adventure, as well as two water bottle pockets to hold your bottles.
The length of the product is 10 inches. Its weight is 294.84 Grams
- Robust Dual side pockets to hold any bottle of water
- Waterproof Polyester material
- Good to carry almost anything on hiking.
- Water bottle pockets are loose
- Badly sewed , will be torn easily
- Very large
- The strap is thin and folds over in half
- Too bulky for ladies
- Not very comfortable
These are eight best waist packs for hiking, according to my experience. But if I get to choose any one among them, then I would recommend using Nike Lean 2 Pocket Waist pack, for very clearer and straight forward reasons. It does what it is made for, like if one is doing hiking and never wants to pick the bag again and again. So it’s a perfect fit while hiking. Secondly, it’s incredibly lightweight and also, can carry 2 water bottles. And most importantly, its reflective material makes it easy for you to find it.