Whether you are new to the sport of fishing or have been doing it for long, you will need the most important thing of all required for fishing; fishing rods.
If invested, in the best baitcasting rods, they go a long way with you compared to some cheap rods. So, if you are looking for the best baitcasting rods for your fishing expedition, then you are in the right place. But, before buying any rod, you should research and learn about the best baitcasting rods.
This article provides you everything you need to know about the best baitcasting rods available in the market. Before jumping to the reviews of the top baitcasting rods available in the market, it is essential that we learn what is important to look for when buying a new baitcasting rod. The following rods list is selected for a detailed review:
- Entsport E Series – Camo Legend 2
- Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Rod
- Okuma Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Fishing Casting Rod
- KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rods
- Berkley Cherrywood HD Casting Rod
- St Croix Mojo Bass Casting Rods
- Entsport E Series – Sirius Casting Rod 2
- Ugly Stik GX2 Casting Rod
- Abu Garcia Veritas Casting Fishing Rod
- Abu Garcia Vengeance Casting Fishing Rod
- Rippin Lips Super Cat Casting Rod with Glow Tip, 7-Feet 6-Inch/Medium-Heavy
- Shimano FX 7’0 M Freshwater Casting Fishing Rod
- Daiwa Tatula Casting Rod
- Cadence CR7B Baitcasting Rod Fast Action Rod Super Lightweight Sensitive Portable Casting Rods
Before you read the full review of each of the products, take a look at the following information which will help you in making your decision.
QUICK GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS
Below is a list of our favourite fishing gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best Fishing Reel: Penn Squell Level
- Baits For Rainbow Trout: Berkley Power Bait
- Best Indore Fishing Rod: Royale Legend
- Best Ultralight Fishing Rod: KastKing Perigee II
- Best Spinning Reel Under 100: Daiwa BG Spinning Reel
- Best Walleye Trolling Lure: Original Floater Fishing Lure
- Best Pike Lure: Jerk Bait Fishing Lure from Rapala
- Best Fishing Kayak under 1000: Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Best Fishing Kayak under 300: Sun Dolphin Journey 10
- Best Fishing Wader: HODGMAN H3 STOCKING FOOT CHEST WADER
- Best Fishing Gloves: BERKLEY FISHING GLOVES
- Best Fishing Cooler: AO Coolers Sportsman Vinyl Soft Cooler
- Best Portable Fish Finder: Reel Sonar Wireless Bluetooth Smart Sonar
- Best Inflatable Fishing Boat: Sea Eagle Green
- Best Fluorocarbon Line: KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line
Everything Essential To Learn About Baitcasting Rods
Baitcasting rods are different from other types of rods because their reel is on the top instead of on the side. The line is against the rod while casting, which protects them from breaking. This is because the guides and reels are on the rod facing upwards. This way, the user will feel less friction while using long with smoother casting to a great distance.
You can use a baitcasting rod anywhere. You can use them in a yacht, boat, ship, by freshwater shore or lake –you will find it useful everywhere. You can equip it with different shields and bearings according to the situations. These rods can be very lightweight, but that doesn’t mean that they have less power. Baitcasting rods can catch the heaviest sea creatures. It will also work if the weather is rash or tough; they can work against massive tides with ease.
Things To Remember Before Choosing A Baitcasting Rod
Here are a few things you should remember to check before choosing a baitcasting rod:
Composing Material Of The Rod
There is no doubt that baitcasting rods are different. Yet one thing is the same in each rod: the material of their composition. They are made from fiberglass or graphite (also called carbon fiber). The thing about carbon fiber is that it is exceptionally strong and also does not adds much on the weight side. They are lighter made with fiberglass. Thus it has incredible flexibility, which is essential. It ensures that you would likely not miss any bite opportunities.
But, they are not as powerful as graphite. With graphite, they are powerful when you catch something heavy and big. Yet, graphite baitcasting rods can also be stiff. If you are not pulling at an angle, then the rod could get a fracture and snap. But this is a problem with only graphite baitcasting rods, not fiberglass.
Weight And Length Of The Rod
Each rod has a different weight and size, and the price also varies on these specifications. The length of a rod can range from 5 to 9 feet, and they can sometimes be longer to 10 feet. Short rods are lighter and are ideal for quick casts in areas such as stumps, docks, and lakes.
While longer rods are heavier and are suitable for open spaces like the sea or ocean from a yacht/boat. The weight of the rod is directly proportional to its length –the longer the rod, the heavier it will be.
Rod Braking System
The braking system on a rod is created in a way that allows the spool to regulate its motion during the cast. All the baitcasting rods have braking systems that help the anglers in fighting the fish. A sound braking system is crucial to stop the spool from overrunning and from backlashing. If you feather the spool timely, it won’t tangle. The braking system is easily adjusted on all rods by the dial. The dial is at the palm of the reel and can assist in catching fish skillfully.
Grip And Handling
Baitcasting rods have advanced from the original ‘pistol-grip) which were the most common type of handles in the past. But, today, there is a wide range of rod handles depending on the price. The higher the price, the better the handle will be (made of cork or Eva foam). The handle has to be of good quality because it is a thing from which you control your fish and your rod. It protects the hand from slipping up and letting go of the prey. A handle is an essential part of the rod because it tells the angler whenever a fish comes across your rod.
Rod Power And Action
Rod’s power means the fight that the angler goes through with his rod when he catches something. This classifies rods into two groups. A heavyweight rod and a medium weight rod (they attract large fish) and fewer weight rods (which attract small fishes). Rod action means how much a rod can bend when pressure is applied. The fast rods are flexible from near the tip white the moderate rods are bendable from the middle, and finally, the slow rods flex from the bottom part. The baitcasting rods are fast when it comes to rod action.
FAQ About Baitcasting Rods
1. Is an 8-foot long baitcasting rod any good?
An 8-foot baitcasting rod is ideal if you are looking for rods to cast longer distances. They also pick up more quickly so you can cast more often.
2. Can bait caster be attached to any rod?
Yes, it can be attached. But, it is not attached because a spinning rod uses a spinning reel, which is the opposite of bait caster, so it is not recommended, but it is possible.
3. How to care for a baitcasting rod?
Make your rod last; wash it with freshwater and store it upright without any pressure (indoors on a fishing rack). Apply some light grease on reel to prevent friction and also check your rod regularly for cracks. Failing to care for the rod can affect its life’s duration.
4. Does a long rod cast to long-distance?
If you have a sturdy, long baitcaster rod, then yes, it can cast further distances. However, all the elements of rod play a role in casting.
5. What’s the best baitcasting rod?
Well, the best baitcasting rod is what suits you the best. But, if you take my word for it, St Croix Mojo Bass Casting Rod is the best your money can buy. It is a fast action rod with a medium light weight.
6. What are Baitcaster rods good for?
Rods for baitcasters are ideal to be used for casting the bait in the water alongside the fishing rod. By using a bait caster rod, the process of fishing becomes a whole lot easier and also it increases the chances of catching a much bigger sized prey.
7. Do you need a special rod for a bait caster?
Baitcaster does require a rod but not specifically a special type of rod. You can use it on spinning as well as casting rod. However, among these two, the use of a casting rod is highly recommended. It will offer better accuracy as compared to the spinning rod
14 Best Baitcasting Rods Reviews
- It has 2 tips
- Medium and medium-heavy portable baitcasting rod bass.
This rod has a lightweight design with high sensitivity and a new focus on strength. The best thing is that it has 2 tips A medium tip and a Medium Heavy tip. They can help adjust your casting weight just the way you are comfortable with. The durable carbon fiber provides the angler to transfer power throughout the rod efficiently. The seven stainless steel guides can provide seamless casting and excellent performance. Super quality EVA handles are a plus. The information about the guides is not given much.
- 2 tips; both are for different weights.
- Rod is lightweight so, it’s easily carryable.
- Its fiber body is not strong enough, so it’s easily breakable.
- It is prone to corrosions easily.
- Its tips are easily breakable.
- It is expensive.
• High durability.
• Light weight-sensitive
• Includes one and two pieces baitcasting rod.
These durable rods are created with durable both fiberglass and graphite. It provides strength and power to the angler for catching the prey. You can masterfully catch the smallest and the biggest fish with this rod. The tip is not much heavy, it allows you to detect even the smallest of bites so you can catch your prey promptly.
The balance of the rod seems unreal at times. Although it is flexible, the strength offered by it is also great.
• Get most of your Piscifun baitcasting rod by combining it with a relevant reel.
• It’s very durable, along with lightweight flexibility.
• Assembling and reassembling is very easy.
• It is a well-balanced rod.
• It has limited length options.
• It has aluminum oxides guides
• Well balanced and easy to use the rod.
• Portable because of 2 piece design.
• Made for fast action and reliability.
• Has extreme sensitivity to the smallest nibble.
This solid rod scored the highest on the quality test. It is a professional casting rod made with sensitive graphite and has aluminum oxide guides. The real seats are made of stainless steel, and its height is 8’6 massive action. The bad thing about this rod is that the guides are sensitive and they can not be allowed to be used for catching heavy prey.
• This rod can be used for the furthest distances.
• Can fight the prey and win.
• It has lots of length options (6 inches, 7 inches, 7’7 inches, and 8 inches)
• It has a hard aluminum oxide guide as its frame.
• It has a superb stainless steel reel seat.
• Dual material construction gives it durability
• It doesn’t have a lot of customization options.
• It is not easy to handle (especially by beginners)
• Can’t handle heavy prey.
• Line guides of Fuji O-Ring.
• 24-ton carbon fiber casting and a spinning rod.
• Has twin tip rod and one-piece rod
The rod comes with two tips a medium-light and medium-heavy tip so you can choose according to your need. These rods provide the best value for spinning and baitcasting rods. This rod is nothing like a regular fishing pole—the ergonomic high strength reel seat with graphite makes it different from the rest of the options.
It has hybrid joints that ensure a smooth transition of power. The components used for its construction are of the highest possible quality to ensure the maximum durability of the product. It is a fast action rod. KastKing offers almost all the features you need from rods for fishing at an incredible price point.
• This rod is ideal for all anglers; of every skill level.
• Its composition material offers durability and high sensitivity.
• It can cover longer distances
• Offers amazing value for the money
• The rod’s variant wears off quickly.
• Not as stable as other rods.
• The rod doesn’t provide great value at the mentioned price.
• Has high security because of high-quality handle construction.
• Cork handle providing grip and comfort
It is a hybrid designed rod with high sensitivity and handles security. It is 20x tougher and 55% lighter than the conventional aluminum oxide guides. The cork handle also provides excellent grip and comfort. The rod has aluminum oxide guides, which are factory tested for reliability. Coming in a variety of length options, you can use it to catch as heavy as prey as it gets. Though it may require a lot of practice at the start to get used to it before using it in the real.
• It has many length options (7 inches, 5’6 inches, 6 inches, etc.)
• Has the great value of the price.
• Has a capacity of 41lb along with bearings for the smooth fishing experience.
• Has firm EVA cork grip handle
• Cork is not very adjustable.
• Not suitable for beginners.
• Not very flexible
• Advanced SCIII graphite construction.
• High modulus and high strain graphite fiber for sensitivity.
• Integrated poly curve.
• Tooling technology
It has an advanced SCIII graphite construction with high-performance graphite fiber. This makes it light weighted and durable at the same time.
The black hood rod has a length of 6’8 and is super-fast. It is the right choice if you want smoother actions and high strengths.
This makes it to the list of the best baitcasting rods.
• Combination of SCIII graphite with high-performance fiber.
• Black hood rod with 6’8 length.
• Super-fast action.
• Smooth reel casting for a fast and smooth experience.
• Light weighted with durability.
• Expensive for beginners.
• Reel grip is not fulfilling.
• Not much flexible.
• 7 feet graphite portable baitcaster rod.
• Ideal for inshore casting.
• Ideal for freshwater casting.
This rod is built with high ductile carbon blanks, which increases its strength while keeping it lightweight. It has an enhanced reel seat with a 6+1 stainless steel hood to resist friction. It also comes with a multipurpose hook holder and has EVA handles to increase comfort.
• Built with high strength carbon blanks.
• More strength with less weight.
• Contains stainless steel guides for less corrosion.
• Rear grip is not as fulfilling as other rods.
• Less flexible in harsh conditions.
• Doesn’t provide great value for money.
• Sensitive, reliable, and lightweight.
• Offers one-piece construction.
• One-sided clutch and anti-reverse instant bearing.
• Contains oversized bail wire.
• 6’6 inches medium heavy rod.
This durable 6’6 medium heavy rod from Ugly Stik is ideal for lightweight fishing. It is made with a combo of fiberglass and graphite; its tip provides strength and responsiveness to fishing. It has lightweight EVA, which provides comfortable handling during the expenditure.
Although the construction from Ugly Stik looks a bit heavy, the rod itself is fairly lightweight and won’t hurt your hand much. It would have been better if it had stainless steel guides.
• Combination of reel and rod is ideal for all level anglers.
• Smoother reel casting and retrieving.
• Smooth experience.
• Handling is not comfortable.
• It Is not very portable.
• Does not cast very further.
• 30-ton graphite rod.
• Has a lightweight and balanced design.
• Has a sublayer of armor with high strength.
• Exceptional durability.
• Up locking ratcheting reel seat.
It is made of 30 ton of graphite for balanced fishing and has a sublayer of amour with high fibers for fantastic durability. It can also UP lock the reel seat for a secure and comfy fit. It is a 7-foot medium-fast casting rod.
• Adjustable rod with the hook.
• Easy to use and durable.
• Long-lasting construction.
• Not suitable for beginners because of difficult handling.
• Requires lots of practice before perfection.
• Doesn’t have any warranty.
- Graphite Construction
- Balanced design
- Steel guides
- Eva handles
- Comes with Titanium Oxide inserts
- A comfortable and relaxing grip
Abu Garcia is not a brand to overlook in this domain. They have been in the rods business for a long time and their exceptional quality is the reason for their success. This one is another great addition to their catalog. This rod is made up of graphite. Other than being a lightweight material, it is equally strong and does not break under stress. Also, it ensures a comfortable and balanced design in case you expect to catch a heavy fish.
This is a medium to fast action rod. The aesthetics are good and eye-pleasing. The feel of the casting is also great for the user. So you will enjoy using it. Though it is recommended to use it for lightweight lures because that is what it is designed for. The guides are really exceptional and keep the balance of the rod intact. Your line will never wear down no matter what.
The overall build quality is great and you will enjoy using this product.
- Strong and sturdy construction
- Well balanced design under load
- Well made guides with good quality inserts
- Handles are comfy and durable
- Lightweight fishing rod and good for long term use
- The line will not wear down most of the times
- Might break under heavyweight prey
- Drag on the braided line cables produces too much friction
- Made up of cat-glass composite
- Good quality materials
- Has a split grip
- Offers a fast tip
- One-piece rod
Rippin Lips’ SuperCat Casting Rod is another exciting addition in the market. It made up of a composite material that comprises of E=glass, S-glass, and Graphite. A combination of the properties of these 3 materials, the results are astounding. The important thing here is its split handle. It not only adds to the overall balance of the rod, but it also provides a relaxing fit for prolonged usage. It will also help you while setting the hooks.
The guide wraps are epoxy-coated to serve as a protection layer on the top. The tip of the rod is even visible in the dark, thanks to its high visibility feature. Another good thing is that the guides are made up of industry-leading stainless steel which makes them very strong nevertheless. It can easily pull out 50 60 pounders without breaking. However, it should be noted that it is a one-piece rod.
At this price, the tons of features offered by Rippin Lips’ SuperCat Casting Rod are almost impossible to beat.
- The split grip is a nice addition
- Strong enough to catch big fishes i.e. more than 50 pounds
- Has a sensitive tip
- Strong construction
- The composite material has many advantages
- Stainless steel eyelets
- Medium-Heavy is not right for this type
- The rod is a bit stiff at the start
- Two-piece rods
- Equally suitable for children as well as young people
- Can serve a lot of purposes
- Grip is comfortable
- Medium power fast action fishing rod
- Powerpro Line
If you are looking for a rod that is suitable for people of all get groups, do not go much further. Shimano Fresh Water Casting Fishing Rod is the best option for you. Even if you are not skilled enough, you can use this fishing rod without any problem. The best thing about this kind of casting rods is that they can be used in a wide range of places. Be it any saltwater lake or river, it will do the job.
The construction is top-notch and the guides are made up of strong Aluminium oxide to ensure a smooth line flow without any delay. This is one of the fast action casting rods with medium power. A split grip design with a rubberized coating on the top does not slip out of your hand even under the action of water. The value of money offered by this fishing rod is just great. It does the job really well.
- Top-notch craftsmanship
- Build quality is excellent
- Amazing value for the money
- Has Powerpro line
- Medium power and fast action but feels much more sturdy in real
- Well balanced design
- The rod weighs a lot itself
- Feels like cheap from the outlook
- The aesthetic black outside finish
- Graphite fiber construction
- Flexible yet strong
- Aluminium reel
- Alconite ring guides
- One-piece rod
Daiwa Tatula Casting Rod has a great black finish on the exterior side. Made up of graphite fiber, it is obvious that the rod is strong and made to catch heavy prey. However, it may seem flexible at first sight, but that does not mean its strength is being compromised. A unique design results in a much less weight as compared to the other fishing rods.
It also has a custom reel seat for better efficiency. Split grips are there to make sure you can use it comfortably for a longer duration. Daiwa has the reputation for making quite durable rods and this one lives up to the expectations easily. It is equally suitable for use in saltwater lakes. The reel can be cast over a long distance easily and accurately as the sensitivity is quite good. It is a medium heavy rod that will do almost everything you need from it.
- Medium Heavy fishing rod
- Highly comfortable reel seat
- Outstanding build quality
- Easier casting with high sensitivity
- Has a good bite detection
- Versatile design and outlook
- Line is not strong sometimes
- 1 piece rods with carbon wrapped veil
- Avoids line sticking in the guides
- One year warranty
- Multipurpose rod
- Has Stainless steel guides
Cadence CR7B Baitcasting rod is one of its kind. It offers a much superior build quality than the rest of the options. During its construction, it was kept in mind to make this a lightweight option but the strength also needed to be at the maximum. The results are extraordinary. The grip is amazing and offers all the strength you need to catch your prey.
The stainless steel guides make sure that the line never gets stuck in them. The enhanced sensitivity features mean that you can cast out the reel effectively and right where you want it to land. It is another multipurpose rod that can be used for fishing anywhere. No matter what type of fishing you are aiming at, this baitcasting rod will do the job. To keep your mind at ease about this purchase, the manufacturer offers a One year warranty as well.
- One of the top baitcasting rod available
- Comfortable hand grip
- Has a fuji reel seat
- Medium heavy rod
- Good value for money
- A durable option
- Has a fast tip
If you are a pro angler, you should never compromise on the quality of your fishing rod. The best rod isn’t always the most pricey because each person has different preferences when it comes to rods. Our top pick is the St Croix Mojo Bass Casting Rod because it is known for its durability and strength. This rod also won’t be heavy on your pocket. However, if you think that some other rod is ideal for you, then go for it.