To keep yourself hidden from the wild creatures during your hunt, you need to equip yourself with a reliable tree stand. Being a hunter, you would how important a weapon a deer stand is in your arsenal. It helps in giving you a place to lie down and rest without any danger from the animals. A good climbing deer stand will add much comfort to your adventure.
Most of the time, picking the best climbing deer stand is a straight forward deal. But there are some of the essential factors that you need to keep in mind when you are shopping for it.
Let’s talk about those critical features but first here is a list of the Best Climbing Deer Stand:
- Summit Treestands 180 Max SD Climbing Treestand
- Summit Treestands 81120 Viper SD Climbing Treestand
- Summit Treestands SU81119 Goliath SD Climbing Treestand
- Lone Wolf Sit & Climb Combo II Climbing Tree Stand
- OL’MAN TREESTANDS Multi-Vision Climbing Stand
- Rivers Edge Big Foot Lounger Portable Hunting Tree Stand
- X-Stand Deluxe Aluminum Climbing Tree Stand
- Best Choice Products Climbing Portable Harness Tree Stand
Quick Gear Recommendation
Below is a list of our favourite climbing gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best Ice Climbing Gloves: Savior Heated Gloves For Men Women
- Best Ice Climbing Crampons: Kahtoola Microspikes Footwear Traction
- Best Climbing Sticks: Guide Gear Quick Climbing Sticks
- Best Climbing Helmet: Black Diamond Vapor Helmet
- Best Beginner Climbing Shoes: La Sportiva Men’s Low Top Shoes
- Best Climbing Shorts: Men’s Outdoor Casual Lightweight Hiking Shorts
- Best Caving Headlamp: Olight Bundle H2r Led Headlamp
- Best Climbing Tape: White Athletic Sports Tape
- Best Bouldering Crash Pad: Asana Climbing Hero Bouldering Crash Pad
- Best Climbing Camelot: Black Diamond Camalot
- Most Comfortable Climbing Shoes: Evolv Shaman Climbing Shoe
- Best Climbing Rope: Valor Fitness Sisal Climbing Rope
Before you read the full review of each of the products, take a look at the following information which will help you in making your decision.
3 Most Important Features to Check When Purchasing the Best Climbing Deer Stand
The sole responsibility of bearing your and all your hunting gear weight lies on the climbing stand. The safety is of the utmost importance here. There should be enough straps provided to hold each and everything safely. If it falls, the results are going to be drastic.
The use of high quality and reliable material needs to be ensured for maximum safety. An additional thing to have is a safety harness. It is a separate thing from the rest of the stand, and it is wrapped around the trunk of the tree. It adds to the stability of the overall structure.
The better-tested system for such a climbing stand is 4 point fall arrest system. It uses more strap to even distribution of the weight. So it allows more room for the movement, and it is comfortable to use. The chances of falling down of such a stand are very minimal. It is to be noted that the climbing stand should be able to bear at least 300 lbs of weight.
While having an armrest on the side is also recommended from the safety point of view.
Your chosen location for your hunting adventure is going to play an important role here. The choice of the best climbing stand depends upon it. If the area is far off and you have to travel on foot to reach, picking a lightweight option is going to suit you the more. However, you might need to compromise on space and comfort in that regard.
Conversely, if you are travelling by car to the exact spot, you do not need to compromise on anything. Pick the best option with the maximum features for a comfortable experience.
The lightweight stands weigh around 15 lbs while the heavyweights are around 30 pounds.
Hunting is a job that requires a lot of patience. You need to wait for days, even for your prey. In such a scenario, compromising on your comfort while choosing the climbing stand is not recommended at all. You would need a comfortable and spacious option to accommodate you for a longer duration.
Some of the stands come with recliner seats and pads. This is a necessary addition. Similarly, the stand should be spacious enough to allow room for movement. The platform size and the flexible straps should be checked as per the preference. Back support is a must-have feature in a climbing stand.
Other Important Features
Choosing a climbing deer stand that is easy to set up is highly recommended. You do not want to be spending an hour or two in just setting up your climbing stand.
The construction quality should be excellent. The materials should be able to tolerate harsh weather conditions without failing. Waterproofing is a must-have feature.
The ideal height for your type of hunt is also an important deciding factor. Higher elevations can be chosen, but the set up would be complicated. Similarly, you might need to buy a camouflage if the height is too low.
If budget is an issue, you will need to research more thoroughly before deciding on options. The climbing stand should contain all the necessary features within your price range.
Depending upon the weapon of choice, the climbing stands come with additional support features as well. Some climbing stands are suitable for hunting with the bow while some are for hunting with a rifle.
There are two choices. Sit and Climb or Hand Climbing. Choosing between these two varies for the individual and his/her hunting style. It is advised to personally test both options before making a choice if you are a beginner.
Types of Tree Stands
The climbing tree stands come in different types with respect to their style. They are discussed below.
- Fixed Position Tree Stands: They are lightweight. They consist of a platform with a seat that is attached to the tree with the help of a chain or a strap. As the name suggests, they are fixed at a point saved for the later use as well. You do not need to move them if you intend to come to the same place some other time.
- Self-Climbing Tree Stands: These type of stands is much suitable for hunters that prefer to use a bow. They are comfortable to sit and take the aim around you easily. They are a portable option to carry but require a little practice to set up.
- Ladder Tree Stands: These type of stands come with a long ladder and a seat built on the top of it. The height of the ladder is usually from 15 to 20 feet. They are easy to use and set up against any tree. However, ladder tree stands are heavy and require more than one person to carry them around.
- Tower Tree Stands: Tower Tree Stands come with a wide top to ensure adequate space for the movement. They are more suited for an open terrain with better view angle and a vantage point to see around. They are heavy and require a solid firm base ground.
The market is crowded with different climbing stand from various companies. To help you make the right choice, here are some of the best options reviewed.
Review of the Best Climbing Deer Stand
Summit CLimbing Treestand comes with a built-in oak tree camouflage to hide you better in the woods. It is designed for hunters who like to have extra space and room around them. It has an adjustable height to set it just the way you like it.
Summit 180 Max SD does not weigh a lot. Thanks to the high-quality materials used for its construction, it can support up to 350 pounds comfortably, which is excellent at this price point. The foot resting place ensures your shoes stay right on the platform.
The seat is made up of expandable foam that hardly makes any noise. It is well suited for silent hunting. The cable retention system is efficient and set up quickly. You do not have to indulge yourself with nuts, bolts etc. It is comfortable to use with the backrest available. That makes it ideal for long term usage.
- Comfortable noise-less seat
- Offers high vantage point
- Adjustable height
- Front rail for added stability
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Great value for the money
- Somewhat weak backstrap
- Footpegs are not tight enough
Summit Viper Line of the Treestands has been immensely popular in the hunting world. It offers the best features for the price, and the build quality is just top-notch. It has a great camouflage that can hide you from the prying eyes. Your clandestine operation is not going to be interrupted by anything at all.
Summit has the reputation of producing treestand with minimum noise when used. It holds true in this case as well. Viper SD is genuinely a noiseless thing when used, and it cuts off all the unnecessary noises that disturb your hunt.
For the hunters using treestands, accidental falls from the heights have been very common, and it is a concerning issue. Viper SD comes with a perfect solution to this problem. It has a dedicated fall harness system that binds you to the seat to prevent accidental falls. The seat is padded and comfortable for more prolonged durations use. It can easily hold up to 300 pounds of weight while weighing only 20 pounds itself which is an impressive feat.
- Camouflage protection
- Fall harness system to avoid accidents
- Lightweight but strong frame
- Fully customizable
- Noiseless use
- Requires few mods to increase the functionality
- Shoulder straps are of poor quality
Summit is not a new name in the hunting gear world. This new offering is no exception at all. A closed front aluminium frame with excellent camouflage makes it the first choice for many hunters.
The platform seat is spacious enough for smooth movement. It is designed for big hunters with a carrying capacity of just around 350 pounds. SD in the name stands for sound deadening. The frame is constructed in such a way that little movement will not produce any kind of creaking noises.
The QuickDraw retention system makes it a secure and quick option to install to any tree. The stirrups are provided for extra feet support and to keep the boots attached to the platform. It also comes with a padded backrest to add to the comfort of the user. The handy harness system protects you from accidental falls.
- Comfortable padded seat and backrest
- Enhanced safety features
- Can hold 350 pounds of weight
- Lightweight stand
- Infinity camouflage
- There is no platform space
- An expensive option
Top-quality craftsmanship means that the Lone Wolf Climbing Tree Stand can carry a heavy load despite its lightweight structure. It weighs approx 21 pounds that makes it one of the lightest on the market.
It is a massive chair with a lot of space. The comfort of the user is unmatched. Padded back and the bottom makes it useful for longer use while hunting. There are armrests provided on both sides as well.
It is designed mainly for bow hunters. There is also a bow holder included with it. The sturdy footrest makes your posture straight and comfortable.
As it weighs less, it is a compact option that is easy to carry around yourself. It comes with additional straps like backpacking, bungee, and stabilizing straps.
- Unique design
- High-quality craftsmanship
- Easy to carry
- Versatile footrest system
- Durable option
- Shoulder strap and harness needs improvements
Ol’Man Climbing Stand is one of the most vigorous stands available in the market. Ol’Man uses steel for the construction of the frame, which is much better than the aluminium. However, the usage of steel makes it cumbersome and difficult to carry.
It is designed for both gun and bow hunters. It has three different modes in which it can be adjusted as per your preferences and your style of hunting. The wide top offers plenty of room for movement.
The treestand is very quiet to use and does not produce any creaking sounds. It helps you maintain stealth and remain undetected. It can carry 300 pounds of weight quickly. Safety is of the utmost concern here, and every safety feature is designed to have a double backup. Overall, Ol’Man offers a very cool design.
The only downside is that the seat and backrest are not padded. This makes it highly uncomfortable for prolonged usage.
- Exceptionally strong and durable
- For gun and bow hunters both
- Noiseless construction
- Cool design
- Focus on safety features
- Uncomfortable seats
- Harness needs improvement
Rivers Edge Portable Hunting Tree Stand is an affordable option for those on a tight budget. It is a comfortable option that gives you the liberty to stand up on your seat and take the shot when needed.
The metal supports can make noises at unwanted times. But to counter this, the straps can be used to attach them to the wood logs. This would prevent them from making unnecessary noises.
The armrests can be used when needed and can be flipped up if extra room is required. The use of steel frame makes it a far better durable option in this price range.
- Good value for money
- Padded seats
- Luxury option
- Customizable as per the needs
- Additional support features
- Unreliable shooting rest
If you are looking for an extremely portable tree stand, X-Stand should be your first choice. Its lightweight frame with unique fold-flat design makes it easy to carry around in your bag pack. It only weighs about 16 pounds.
X-Stand gives you the option to adjust the height of the seat as per your preferences for an accurate shot. The cables are made up of nylon to make them quite while using. They are coated with rubber to reduce the damage from wear and tear. The solid construction makes it able to carry 300 lbs without breaking any sweat.
It has a four-point harness system for the maximum safety of the user.
The only downside is that it does not feature any kind of backrest or a padded seat. It is not for you if you plan to wait for a longer duration for your hunt.
- Easy to carry
- Does not makes any noise
- No back or hip support
Best Choice Products enter the market with a stable and versatile product. It offers a straight posture for a better shot and good accuracy.
It does not weigh a lot, but still, it can support up to 300 pounds of weight which is impressive. Climate-friendly material is used to make it ideal for use in rough terrain. The comfortable seat and backrest give you a relaxing experience when using it.
The safety harness is included to avoid any kind of accident. It also has a padded gun rest for taking accurate shots. It comes with different accessories and backstraps for making the most out of it.
The footrest is a little short, but it can be extended manually. With little skills, it is easy to put up and use in no time.
- For rough and tough use
- Ideal for any terrain
- Durable construction
- Relaxing experience of use
- Tree mounting is a bit difficult
- A little bit on the pricy side
As you might have guessed by now, the award of the best climbing deer stand goes to Summit Goliath SD Climbing Tree stand. It offers you the best features without breaking your bank. It has the most comfortable noiseless seating with exceptional safety features that make it stand out from the rest.
If you are looking to buy the best climbing deer stand, you can just blindly buy Goliath SD and be done with it.