There are a lot of shoe brands available in the market, so are the insoles. It is crucial to take care of your feet during hiking because they are what is carrying you all along. A comfortable insole is absolutely necessary for a relaxed hiking trip. Bad insoles can make your journey very much painful.
Though shoes come with a preinstalled sole, the aftermarket insoles can drastically improve the quality of the shoes, resulting in a much better experience. They help you in shock absorption and reducing fatigue. It adds to the stability of the footwear.
Choosing the best insole can be a hard task because of the variety available in the market.
Quick Gear Recommendation
Below is a list of our favourite hiking gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best Shorts: Tru-spec Men’s 24-7 Series Tactical Shorts
- Best Jackets For Cold Weather: The North Face Men’s Insulated Jacket
- Best Gloves: Mountain Made 2.0 Genesis Gloves
- Best Shoes For Flat Feet: Salomon Men’s Quest Hiking Boots
- Best Boots Under 100: Keen Men’s Targhee Ii Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Best Insoles: Timberland Pro Men’s Anti-fatigue Insole
- Best Boots For Overpronation: Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Hiking Boot
- Best Boots Under 50: Sanearde Men’s Hiking Boots Insulated Hiker
- Best Compact Binoculars: Carson 3d Series Hd Waterproof Binoculars
- Best Knife: Opinel Stainless Steel Folding Knives
- Best First Aid Kit: First Aid Only 299 Piece
- Best Fanny Pack: Osprey Talon 6 Men’s Lumbar Hiking Pack
- Best Dog Backpack Carrier: Petami Pet Carrier Backpack For Dogs
- Best Microspikes: Kahtoola Microspikes Footwear Traction
However, some important factors are listed below to help you make the right decision.
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Insoles for Hiking
Type of Insole:
Though it may not seem, the insoles have different types based on their use.
- Support Insoles: Athletes from different sports mostly use these types of insoles. They are reliable, thick, and offer better support overall. They use hard material that is not much flexible for an increase in stability. Stability to the foot is highly desirable during the hiking trip. They offer active footcare for easy prolonged use. It helps you prevent any kind of foot ache also.
- Soft or Comfort Insoles: Soft insoles are readily available at different stores. As the name suggests, they are soft and do not offer much support. Such insoles are only recommended for light use, such a jogging or gym sessions. They are unable to provide much stability to your foot during a long hiking trip. They provide extra cushioning to ensure a soft product.
Volume plays a vital role in your decision to choose the best insole. The volume of the insole is in simple words, the thickness, and space it is going to take inside your shoe. The volume of the insole you want to choose is directly dependent upon your foot’s arch shape. The volume of the insole is what defines its comfort level and support. If your primary task is hiking, your insole needs to be of higher volume. It is recommended for people with higher arches as the variation of thickness will be along the length.
For general sports and athletics, medium volume insoles are suited best. You can use them for routine day to day purposes as well.
For people with low arches, low volume insoles are ideal. They are slim and can easily fit inside narrow dimensions.
Similar to the volume, the profile of the insole is equally essential. Low profile insoles are recommended for those people who think that their feet require less support. For most people, a medium profile is suitable. High profile insoles are only good for people who need high heel support. Otherwise, you do not need a high profile insole.
Different materials are used to make insoles. Each of them has its characteristics and negative points.
- Air Insoles:. In Air insoles, the foam has an air bubble that is entrapped into giving it adequate compressive ability. The best thing about it is that it will not lose the compressive strength after some time. Such loss occurs in insoles wholly made up of foam. It retains the level of comfort and support over a longer duration of time efficiently.
- Foam Insoles: Foam Insoles are made up of memory foam. The bad thing is that they lose their cushion over time due to constant usage. At their best, they provide adequate cushion for a comfortable ride. Foam Insoles do not weigh a lot and provide necessary shock absorption.
- Gel Insoles: Liquid Gel bubbles are entrapped inside the regular memory foam. The gel is a solid material and does not permanently lose its compression ability under the constant action of weight. However, Gel insoles are substantial as compared to the other options. The material is easy to clean and retains its natural shape. The breathing ability is minimal, though.
- Cork Insoles: Cork has the ability to absorb the moisture without any odor. This makes it an ideal candidate for the construction of an insole. It looks soft, but it provides plenty of support and stability to your feet. The design makes it lightweight as well.
Other Important Characteristics:
Waterproof insoles are great to have as they will not get wet if you are hiking on a rainy day or your feet sweat a lot. Waterproofing ability will make it comfortable to use.
The choice between a thick or a thin insole is dependent on the preference of the person. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Your feet do not possess a specific shape; instead, the form keeps on changing based on the movement. Choosing a flexible insole will help in adaptation with the changing movement. A rigid insole is not recommended as it may cause feet to ache. Check for flexibility before buying.
Your insole needs to be durable. It is not something that you want to be changing after every trip. It should be able to withstand the rough use for a longer duration. A suitable insole should offer the same level of performance as a new one throughout its life.
The amount of cushioning and the place of it also plays a vital role in your decision.
Take care of your insole for prolonged use. Take them out after the day and place them in the air to dry out. Wash them only by hand by any detergent.
If you think your insoles are slipping a lot, you probably need heel support for it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Best Insoles for Hiking
Question: How longer my insoles will serve me?
Answer: The lifetime of insoles is generally a complete season of extensive use. You can extend it by properly taking care of them. Once you start feeling fatigued or you are uncomfortable, change them as soon as possible.
Question: Are soft insoles bad for me?
Answer: No, soft insoles are not bad for you unless you are using them where your feet require much stability. They are not designed to provide you outstanding support or balance, so only use them for general tasks.
Question: Do insoles hurt when used for the first couple of times?
Answer: Yes, in the initial stage, you will feel a little discomfort as you are not used to wearing them. But it will go away soon as you get the hang of them.
Some of the best available insoles are reviewed below to help you pick the right one as per your requirements and preferences.
Review of the Best Insoles for Hiking
Protalus M100 is designed for people with wider feet than the average person. It aims to cover your entire foot over it. They are specifically designed to reduce the stress on the ankles and knees due to the poor alignment. The alignment of the joints on the insole plays an important in this regard.
The thickness is enough to provide suitable shock reduction during your trip. The high-quality materials can quickly soak up the moisture to make the user comfortable. The heel cup is given an additional layer of material to ensure the effective distribution of pressure all along.
The main selling point of Protalus is its unmatched alignment. It reduces stress and significantly decreases the chance of any foot ache. It is not only suitable for use in hiking, but it can also be used for regular sports such as basketball and running. The level of comfort offered by Protalus is impressive.
The shank used under the heel provides exceptional stability and support. The cushioning is provided just at the right place to reduce the shock impact. Overall, Protalus Shoe Insoles are one of the best available in the market.
- Shock reduction cushions
- High-quality materials
- Top craftsmanship
- Support to the subtalar joint
- Brilliant alignment
- Anti-slip ridges
- Not enough arch support
- No odor management
Samurai Insoles are different than the rest because they are not entirely directed towards hiking. They serve another purpose alongside, and that is Orthotics. Made in the USA, they are ideal for people who have relatively flat feet. They are biomedically engineered to fit perfectly with your feet.
It is made up of lightweight materials and offers a thin profile. The overall durability of the product is good enough to last you a complete season. The design ensures the best arch support possible for relaxed use.
For flat footed people, the main problem is the heel pain that is caused by overpronation. Samurai Insoles intelligently solve this problem by offering soft support with a precise arch.
Unlike most orthotic shoes, Samurai Insole follows the latest fashion design. They do not look ugly at all. It provides ample support during the hiking as well. The sizing is surprisingly adequate. You will not need the cut them according to your feet. They will relieve your pain almost instantly.
- Medical grade insoles
- Instant pain relief
- Cool and in fashion design
- Ideal for flat-footed people
- True sizing-fits without any trimming
- Lightweight and durable
- Too thin for heavy use
- Not much arch support
Sof Sole Insoles are ideal for you if you want something to do the job at minimal pricing. They are an all-round performer with a focus on all the critical areas. It is designed to do regular routine tasks such as sports, running, jogging, cross-training use, etc.
The length of the Sof Sole is full with a medium profile and volume. It is ideal for use by most of the ordinary people. The construction quality is excellent. Ample cushioning is done just at the right place for effective stress distribution. Gel pads are provided below the heel. It helps in weight carrying capacity and ensures the long-lasting use of the insole. This gives Sof Sole a massive advantage over the other competitors. The sole is given moisture-absorbing treatment. This makes it ideal for use in a wet environment without having to worry about the odor problem. It comes in five different sizes to choose from to avoid the trimming process.
- Suitable for usual use
- Five different sizes available
- LIghtweight and long-lasting insole
- Ample cushioning at the heel and toe
- Gel pads for durability
- Good value for the money
- Not ideal for carrying heavyweight
- Smells of rubber
Nazaroo Shoe Insoles are another great option for flat-footed people. Designed keeping in mind all the medical aspects, they offer instant relief in the pain by using this insole. These are not explicitly outlined, keeping the hiking in mind, but it can be used for it carefully.
Nazaroo offers a comfortable multi-layer cushioning. The base is made up of a durable and robust EVA foam. The materials are durable and long-lasting if taken care of well. The material on the top of the insole is breathable. It helps in aeration, and you will not face any odor problem.
Unlike the others, intelligently made arch support distributes the pressure along the length. The shape of the insole keeps the foot in its natural position for enhanced stability. The shock absorption quality is also excellent. Nazaroo Shoe Insole can easily fit in men’s and women’s shoes without any adjustments. The size is big, it is meant for wide feet people.
Though a little expensive, they are worth a try.
- Deep heel enhances stability
- Excellent moisture and odor control
- Effective pressure distribution
- Medical grade with instant pain relief
- Fits most of the footwear
- Premium quality materials are used
- Not meant for hiking use
- Large sizing
Timberland needs no introduction to the footwear market. Their products have been immensely popular in the customers for offering the best quality. This one is no exception. This insole by the Timberland is unarguably one of the best ones available in the market.
It is carefully engineered by a highly qualified team to give out the top-level performance. Timberland’s exclusive Anti-Fatigue technology features some distinctive designs to make it more comfortable. The foam is designed to absorb the impact and return the energy back to your foot for effect rebound.
The toe is soft, but it does not lose its ability over time. They have a neutral arch and do not weight a lot. It is a high volume insole that covers all the essential areas of the insole with adequate cushioning. The materials are long-lasting and durable. It is very comfortable for prolonged use and offers necessary protection form the aches. The artistry is top-notch, and Timberland promises exceptional performance to its customers. It comes in various different sizes to choose from.
- Trustworthy brand
- Exceptional craftsmanship
- Anti-fatigue technology
- Build to last longer than the rest
- Ideal for climbing or running activities
- Great value for the money
- May need cutting to fit properly
- High price than the regular ones
Although they may not look much aesthetic, Superfeet Orange Insoles do their job effectively. It uses a much comfortable double spring foam for its construction. It is hand made which adds to the durability of the product.
These are high volume insoles. It means that they will a\take up most of the space inside your shoe. The length is not optimized. You will need to trim it according to your own size. The base of the insole is solid. It supports the foam and stabilizes it.
The heel cup is narrow, which reduces the impact efficiently. Opposing to the heel, the front foot side of the insole is pretty soft. It protects your feet from the effect of a hard surface. Whether you are running walking or climbing, Superfeet Orange Insole will help you show your best performance.
- Durable and comfortable to use
- Intensive support for long term usage
- Reinforced stabilized cap
- Full volume and profile
- Impact-absorbing foam
- Length needs adjustments
- Expensive pricing
Easy Feet offers a premium quality insole with great performance. It is designed for use by men and women of all ages. It is a multipurpose insole that can be used for running, climbing, golf, gym, etc.
Easy Feet offers terrific arch support. You might feel weird at first, but you will soon get attached to the feel of it. It minimizes the pain and provides you with maximum comfort.
The heel support keeps the foot fully vertical, and the balance is maintained to ensure stability. The forefoot has both the gel and air capsules to provide a relaxing experience. Apart from that, Easy Feet offers a 1-year manufacturer warranty for a risk-free purchase. It is an ideal choice for you if you suffer from Plantar Fasciitis.
- Offers high arch support
- Instant pain relief from aches
- Shock absorbing foaming material
- Maximum stability to the vertical foot
- Premium quality materials
- Risk-free purchase
- None we could find
Superfeet Carbon is a capable option for those who are looking for an extremely lightweight insole. Its high-density foam serves you well in long-lasting use. Synthetic grade materials are used for their construction. It means that the odor problem does not exist. The reinforced stabilizer cap ensures maximum support and stability.
The specially designed biomechanical shape helps in stabilization. It reduces the stress on the foot. It is a low profile and low volume insole that can fit in a variety of shoe sizes.
- Strong construction
- Good value for money
- Low profile
- Amazing support and stability
- Material under toes is thin
This insole is another great product from Superfeet. The main selling point here is its double spring foam that is ultra-comfortable. It is designed for people with variable arch height. The design is such that to reduce the stress and fatigue on your foot.
Heel Impact Technology helps in the reduction of the impact during climbing. The material on the top does not leave any odor after the use. It is reliable enough to last you a full season easily.
- Carbon Fiber Stabilized Heel Cap
- Moisturewick surface to prevent any odor
- Dual spring foam for added comfort
- Medium to high volume insole
- Heel Impact Technology
- Can cause cramps in earlier use days
Walk Hero comes with an effective solution for people suffering from Plantar Fasciitis. The premium-grade materials used in this insole are excellent in shock absorbing and instant pain relief. The heel cap is deep than the rest of the insole. This is done in order to reduce the impact of landing. It is designed for everyday use as well as specialized use such as hiking or sports etc.
The breathable fabric does not trap the air. It always keeps your feet cool and dry. Incredible mobility offers a free and extended movement of your feet in the shoe.
- Ideal for Plantar Fasciitis
- Strong impact absorption
- Highly comfortable
- Helps fix all the pains instantly
- A little bit tight
Although all of the insoles offer great features, one of them stands out with maximum features at an affordable price point. The crown of the best Insole for hiking goes to Protalus M100 Max Insole. Protalus M100 is a fantastic product with tons of features. Its unrivaled alignment makes it stand out from the rest. Correctly placed cushioning makes sure that your feet never hurt from the hectic use. Your search for the best insoles completes at Protalus M100 Max Insole.