Striped bass, also known as strippers, rockfish, and linesiders are fun to catch. No doubt, it is one of the most famous game fishes in North America. Here, I want to share 15 best lures for catching striped bass.
- Saltwater Grade Magnum Long A Lure By Bomber
- 7 Multi-Jointed Swimbait Fishing Lures for Bass, SZJP
- Salt-Pro Minnow Floating By Daiwa
- Top Water Pencil Popper Fishing Lure By Cotton Cordell
- Storm Wild-Eye Swim Shad Fishing Lure By MICHELIN
- Real EEL Pre-Rigged Slow Sinking Lure By Okuma Fishing Tackle
- Jig-Pack Bucktail From SPRO Fishing
- Sebile Magic SwimmerTM, Swimbaits
- Spro Bucktail
- Fishing Lures for Bass 3.9 inch 7 Segment Multi Jointed Swimbaits Bass Slow Sinking
- Bomber Saltwater Grade Magnum Long A
- Storm WildEye Swim Shad 04 Fishing Lures
- River2Sea Whopper Plopper
- Yo-Zuri Mag Darter Floating Diver 6 1/2 Inch Medium Diving Crankbait
- Rebel Lures Jumpin’ Minnow Topwater Fishing Lure
Before having a look at products, let’s consider some information that you should know about the lures for striped bass.
QUICK GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS
Below is a list of our favourite fishing gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best Fishing Reel: Penn Squell Level
- Baits For Rainbow Trout: Berkley Power Bait
- Best Indore Fishing Rod: Royale Legend
- Best Ultralight Fishing Rod: KastKing Perigee II
- Best Spinning Reel Under 100: Daiwa BG Spinning Reel
- Best Walleye Trolling Lure: Original Floater Fishing Lure
- Best Pike Lure: Jerk Bait Fishing Lure from Rapala
- Best Fishing Kayak under 1000: Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Best Fishing Kayak under 300: Sun Dolphin Journey 10
- Best Fishing Wader: HODGMAN H3 STOCKING FOOT CHEST WADER
- Best Fishing Gloves: BERKLEY FISHING GLOVES
- Best Fishing Cooler: AO Coolers Sportsman Vinyl Soft Cooler
- Best Portable Fish Finder: Reel Sonar Wireless Bluetooth Smart Sonar
- Best Inflatable Fishing Boat: Sea Eagle Green
- Best Fluorocarbon Line: KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line
Types of Best Lures For Striped Bass Fishing That Work Great
There are many different types of fishing lures all around the world which are used for fishing the Striped Bass. We will go over the most widely used lures for catching striped bass.
Bucktails are a very effective lure as they could be easily spotted by fish and attract them. These hooks have been in use for many years and are still widely popular. This lure can be cast, trolled, or jiggedƒ without compromising any effectiveness.
The tail allows it to create a big disturbance in the water which then results in attracting many fishes in the vicinity. The bucktail can be dressed as very vibrant and eye-catching colors to help increase the number of fishes that it attracts, this in turn increases the number of fishes you would catch.
Bucktails have proved time ad again that they are a timeless temptation for stripers.
Swimming lures have been recently introduced to the market and have taken it by storm. These are the lures that swim in the water and give the fish the impression of a real-life fish. These lures appear like a real-life bait to the fish. They make this image even better by showing swimming action.
These lures are modified to look as realistic as possible, everyday new lures introduced looking more realistic than the previous models. With 3D printed coating and realistic eyes. When the swimming lures are being retrieved this should be done slowly as this allows the lure to cause a lot of disturbances in the water, which might attract the fishes present in the vicinity.
Soft Plastic Lures
There are many soft plastic lures that have been regarded as the go-to lure for catching striped bass. These lures have earned this position through the effective features that are present in them. These lures have a special fish-attracting scent impregnated in them which lures all the fishes present in the vicinity to the lure.
However this could work against the angler as well, if the waves are strong the scent might get dispersed very easily rendering the lure useless. The soft plastic could get damaged too if toothy fish get hooked. So this type of lure should only be used under specific conditions.
Needlefish lures started being widely used for catching striped bass in the late seventies. If we look into a time before lures were used the best option available was sand eels. These lures do not have any lips, blunts, or concave ends this clever design allows the angler to cast the lure far.
The waves help it to produce a swimming action which then attracts fishes. You could also increase this by retrieving the lure very slowly in a straight line. This would allow it to attract a somewhat decent amount of fish. The biggest reason needlefish lures are shaped the way they are is because they resemble the sand eels, which were used before them.
Metal lures are very effective lures if you are going to fish stripers. Metal lures are competitively heavier than other fishing lures which makes them easier to cast at long distances. The weight also gives you the ability to place the lure deeper into the water if the fish are over there.
The biggest reason you should have a metal lure in your collection is they are not really affected by winds, which might reduce accuracy and distance while casting other lures.
Review of the 15 Great Lures For Striped Bass
Striped bass is a marine fish species, and it migrates every spring season from the ocean to the coastal river for spawning.
You can catch striped bass in saltwater, freshwater, muddy water, and brackish water throughout the year. For making your fishing experience fun, here I want to share 7 best lures for catching striped bass. Let’s have a look at these products.
This Magnum Long A from Bomber is a larger 7-inches saltwater grade lure. This legendary long A minnow bait contains steroids and offers the same running-speed and wiggle in the water as the original version of Long A.
The structure of this lure is built up with super-hard and tensile polycarbonate that can bear the tough and bites of water monsters. This salt grade Magnum Long A lure is attached with durable hooks that strongly predict the prey for a longer time.
- · Salt grade lure for catching striped bass
- · Strong polycarbonate structure can withstand powerful bites of the toothy fish
- · The body can withstand the hard environment of saltwater
- · Easy-to-use and suitable for beginners
- · Salt grade hooks and split rings
- · is not a suitable lure for expert fishers
- · Hooks easily get rust and break
This slow sinking hard bait fishing lure kit dive deep and widely target varieties of fish species such as walleye, muskies, northern trophy pikes, trout, salmon, striped bass, and roach.
This seven segment multi-jointed swimbait fishing kit is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater. This fishing lure is rigged with 2 super-sharp and highly durable treble hooks. With realistic 3D painting, the multi-joints of this fishing kit are connected with strong and high-quality fabric that allows the fishtail to move flexibly. With its S-Swim action, this fishing lure not only attracts the fishes but also temp them to catch the lure.
- · Equipped with powerful Mustad treble hooks
- · Lifelike 3D painting body and multi-joints are connected with durable and flexible fabric
- · Suitable for saltwater and freshwater
- · Wonderful kit for expert anglers
- · Eco-friendly and reusable
- · Difficult to handle by beginners
This heavy-duty salt-pro minnow floating bait from Daiwa is suitable for saltwater. With its versatile and long-lasting design, this fishing gear delivers fast and ripping retrieve. With a weight transformation system, this fishing bait creates an irregular side-by-side action. Realistic printing scales, color combinations, and lifelike 3D eyes, this lure draws the attention of fish underwater.
This salt-pro minnow floater from Daiwa comes with heavy-duty and sharp treble hooks that can hold the prey for a long time under the water. Moreover, the body construction of this product is suitable for long casting and covers more line.
- · Creates an erratic side-by-side action
- · Gain the attention of large fishes underwater
- · Lifelike 3D eyes and realistic pattern scales
- · Sharp treble hooks enough to give wounds
- · Suitable in salt and easy-to-use
- · Weight transfer system for longer casting
- · The package doesn’t include blue mac
This pencil popper fishing lure from Cotton Cordell comes in 2 options, 6 & 7 inches. Suitable for catching large fish species (such as walleye, pikes, striped bass). This fishing lure has a weighted tail that creates potent actions. The design of this versatile bait is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater.
Made up with stainless steel material, this bass lure from Cotton Cordell is available in various color combinations. With its unique wiggling, this pencil popper fishing lure creates irresistible sounds and draws the attention of prey.
- · Fishing lure with a weighted tail that produces explicit action
- · Unique sound and vibration for attracting large fish species
- · Versatile fishing lure suitable for both saltwater and freshwater
- · Available in 2 different size options and various color combinations
- · Hooks cannot hold the pressure of fishes for a longer time.
- · Not suitable for experienced anglers
This is an ultra-lifelike shade fishing bait from MICHELIN that has a soft-hand poured structure. This realistic swim-action Wild-Eye fishing lure has soft sports bodies with an internal durable lead head. This durable Swim Shad fishing lure is rigged with heavy-weight superior VMC hooks. With an amazing holographic finishing, this fishing bait has crazy lifelike 3D eyes and an impregnated tail. Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater, this Wild-Eye fishing lure brings joy to both beginners and experts.
- · Soft-hand poured structure
- · Internal soft-hand durable lead head
- · Holographic finishing and realistic 3D eye
- · Superior VMC heavy-weighted hooks
- · Easy-to-use and suitable for both beginners and expert anglers
- · This fishing lure cannot hold heavily weighted fishes for long
- · Expensive as compared to similar products
This Real EEL Slow Sinking fishing lure is made by 3D scanning a real Eel. With an explicit swimming action on fall, this Slow-Sinking real EEL has tail kicking seductive action at retrieve. This fishing gear is suitable to tackle various fishing species such as trout, walleye, northern pikes, and striped bass.
The imitation of Eel fishing lure is rigged with strong and heavy-weight top-hook and superior VMC treble hooks. The pre-rigged version is available in several sizes and color patterns. this fishing lure has tail kicking action and deadly on largemouth bass.
- · Manufactured in the USA
- · Tail kicking seduction action
- · Explicit action on fall
- · Holographic finishing with rigged and treble hooks
- · Suitable for catching several species
- · Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater
- · Available in a variety of colors and sizes
- · Expensive as compared to similar products
With a bulging eye and holographic finishing, this jig-tail fishing lure is made up of durable material. The unique design of the head and placement of the eyelet emits a very realistic lifelike look. As compared to other bucktails, this bucktail from SPRO fishing doesn’t fall straight and glide through the water surface. This jig-pack fishing gear is suitable for the fluke, weakfish, and saltwater.
- · Manufactured in the USA
- · Swimming action and glides through the water surface
- · Doesn’t hang or fall down straight in the water
- · The unique shape of the head and bring lifelike look with realistic eyelet
- · The strands of this fishing lure come out even before going in the water
- · Expensive as compared to other similar products
- · Hooks get rusted and break
The Sebile Magic SwimmerTM is a very popular lure. It is designed in such a way that undulates the lure’s jointed body, which then provides a smooth swimming action. This lure can be used in salt water as well as freshwater. It has a natural swimming action which is very hard to resist by bass.
The humpbacked head and tapered nose are efficiently designed and help the lure slice through waves smoothly. This hook is available in a wide variety of sizes and weights. It comes in a wide range of 7 colors which you could use according to the environment and catch.
This lure works amazing if you are trying to catch striped bass. This is a stable swimmer and would work effectively in most conditions.
- Smooth Movement
- Suited to salt and freshwater
- Wide Range of colors available
- Smooth swimming action
- May not be very durable because of the material used.
Spro Bucktail is a very uniquely designed fishing lure. The unconventional shape of the head makes this lure very lifelike, furthermore, the bucktail helps it attack the catch. The advantage of this design is that unlike other bucktail lures, it does not fall down or hang vertically in the water. This lure swims and glides through the water.
This bucktail lure also has a good swimming action which attracts more bass stripers. Furthermore, this lure is available in a wide range of 16 colors, which you could use according to the conditions you would be fishing in, for best results.
This bucktail jig has the fish at your mercy, it is made of the Gamakatsu hooks which are extremely durable so this lure will mos definitely last the test time. The blazing color, bulging eyes, and the holographic finish make this lure almost impossible to resist for most gamefish. That is exactly why this lure is widely famous for being able to be used in almost every condition.
It could be used in freshwater, and saltwater and also could be used to catch a very wide range of fishes. However, most anglers use to catch striped bass. However, upon arrival, the hook might seem to have rust or scratches on it in some cases.
- Bucktail jig
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Has a good swimming action
- Lifelike design
- Can be used in almost any condition of water
- The Gamakatsu hooks might be faulty or rusty in some cases
This 3.9-inch multi-jointed fishing lure is an absolute must to carry with you on your next bass fishing trip. It is a topwater lure and is best suited for catching bass. It is easy to use and would be perfect for new anglers. This lure has a bionic lifelike fish body that attracts many more fish.
This multi-jointed fishing lure is shaped like an injured baitfish, furthermore, it has a very natural swimming action which allows it to attract many more fishes. It is available in a range of colors that are vibrant and would definitely attract a lot of fishes.
These lures come rigged with two treble hooks which are rustproof and are known to be highly durable as well. The material used to make these rods is environmentally friendly too. However, the rear treble hook is somewhat too long for the hook and may cause a long drag which might cause discomfort to some anglers. These hooks could be switched over to smaller hooks later on.
- Multi-jointed fishing lure
- Topwater fishing is suited
- Wide range of colors
- Durable hook
- Environmentally friendly
- The rear hook creates a long drag which alerts the fish
This is a very tough saltwater lure and must be added to your collection if you are going against tough fishes. This lure has a polycarbonate body which makes it exceptionally strong. This allows it to a perfect match for you if you are going against toothy fishes.
This fishing lure is made to withstand the extremely harsh conditions of saltwater while still keeping its strength and power. It is available in a pearl yellow color. This is made for a heavy impact on the fish. This also has a very natural and lifelike look to attract striped bass.
This lure has some weight on it which is supposed to help in casting the lure however as the lure lacks an internal weight transferring system it does not cast very well. This might be a source of discomfort for anglers however it could be overcome. If the line is cast a few times you would understand the exact weight and how to use it to cast the bait very well.
- Suited to saltwater
- Lifelike look
- High-tensile body
- Exceptionally durable
- Good Swimming action
- Lacks an internal weight transferring system
These fishing lures are famous for their outstanding lifelike design of the fish. The bodies are super-soft and hand-poured. These are an amazing source to attract bass as the design is very hard to resist. This lure has more tricks up its sleeve! The strong soft body which comes with bio-salt impregnated tails and internal lead heads.
This hook is available in 3 different colors which are each suited to different kinds of color of the water and type of environment. These lures are known to be very durable. They come pre-rigged with VMC needle point hooks which make this is an overall very effective hook.
They have very realistic swimming action and that makes it very hard to tell if it apart from a real fish. However,as the body is made of soft rubber it might not last against tougher fish. A few bites would rip this lure to shreds.
- Very Lifelike finish
- Amazing Swimming Action
- Durable VMC needlepoint hooks
- The soft rubber makes it not very durable
- Not suited against tougher fishes.
This is a very uniquely designed fishing lure. It is a must-have for an efficient angler. This lure is perfect for when you might be fishing in high pressures bodies of water without low-forage. The Whopper Plopper has risen in popularity due to its clever design which helps lure out nearby fish.
When retrieving its rear tail spins in the water causing a disturbance like a chainsaw. This is observed by almost all the fishes in the vicinity which then decide to come after the lure. This comes with sharp treble hooks.
These come in a wide range of colors. They are available in 25 different colors and patterns. This allows you to choose the best-suited pattern for bass fishing. However, the design of the lure is amazing but the treble hooks are not very effective and are most immediately replaced by seasoned anglers.
This topwater lure is deemed as one of the best lures for catching striped bass. As they are attracted to all the attributes the Whopper Plopper represents. Most users claim a rapid increase in their catches when they switch to Whopper Plopper lures.
- Creates a noticeable disturbance in the water
- Has a very extensive color range for almost every condition
- Tough and durable
- Efficiently designed to catch striped bass
- The treble hooks it comes with, are not very effective and should be replaced.
The Yo-Zuri mag is an amazing lure for striped bass. It should be an absolute essential for your next fishing trip. It harnesses the power of magnetism for you to have the best fishing experience. This use of magnets has allowed the Yo-Zuri Mag darter to have internal weight transfer systems.
The Internal weight transfer systems allow you to have better accuracy while casting, you would also be able to cast your line further very easily with this lure in comparison to other lures that do not have this function. To help you further while casting it is designed to file straight in the direction of the line to help achieve the maximum distances.
It has a strong polycarbonate body which adds both weight and strength to it. The added weight allows you to cast further whereas the strong tensile body now protects the lure from harm. It could be used easily against fishes which are toothy or strong-jawed. This lure is also able to withstand the harsh environments of saltwater due to its polycarbonate body,
The design is very lifelike and thus is capable of luring in more striped bass to be cast. It is not a topwater lure. It has the ability to move downwards due to its rolling and darting motion, which makes allows it to attract a larger number of fishes. However, these lures lose their color which might slightly degrade their effectiveness. This problem is easily fixable if you paint it again.
- Has internal weight transfer systems
- Can be cast further
- The lure can go deep under the surface of the ocean
- Durable Polycarbonate body
- The color tends to fade away after long periods of use
The rebel is a very popular lure for striped bass. This is widely famous for being able to rattle side to side to attract most of the fishes in the vicinity. It glides between the water creating a very noticeable disturbance this greatly increases the odds of you catching a good striped bass.
This lure is based on an old-fashioned design, a technique that has been seasoned with the passage of time. The slender minnow-shaped design and swimming action is a sure and effective way to lure in striped bass. That is the reason it is still widely popular even today.
It can be cast easily and could be cast long distances. It is very easy to use so even beginners could use it and get away with a good catch of striper bass. It is available in 4 different colors which you could use according to the setting where you would be fishing.
The hooks on this lure however should be changed after being bought as they are not very durable. After a few catches, they have a tendency to bend which creates a weak point on the hook.
- Side to side action lures in fish
- Can be cast to a decent length
- 4 different colors
- Easy to use
- Do not have very good quality hooks
No matter where you are on the map, all the above-mentioned lures for striped bass will help you to tackle some large striped bass. Here, I want to mention one fishing lures from above of the list that I find best according to my fishing experience.
With its unique features, durable material and affordable price range, 7 Multi-Jointed Swimbait Fishing Lures for Bass, SZJP is one of the best fishing lures from above of the list. This Swimbait product comes up with a controlling feature; this fishing lure can handle the powerful bites of big fishes.
In the end, do complete research before buying any of your desirable fishing lures.