In the wilderness, hikers and campers want to embrace as much nature as they can. Away from all the urban chaos and pollution, you just want to inhale the fresh air and listen to birds chirping. You might still need to take a few devices with you either to stay in touch with your family or to use GPS. In this case, it is recommended to keep a power bank with you, especially if you are planning for a longer trip.
I have chosen and reviewed the five best power banks for backpacking. They are compact, energy-efficient, and reliable. But before that, it is important to have some know-how about their most important features, so you can select the best one according to your personal needs.
Here we are going to review following best power banks for backpacking:
Quick Gear Recommendation
Below is a list of our favourite backpacking gear that you check quickly if in hurry. Scroll down to read the rest of the article.
- Best Tent Under $100: Winterial Single Person Personal Bivy Tent
- Best Hammock Tarp: Eno, Eagles Nest Outfitters Profly Rain Tarp
- Best Pillow: Trekology Ultralight Inflating Travel/Camping Pillows
- Best Knife Fixed Blade: Spyderco Delica Folding Knife
- Best Chair: Helinox Zero Ultralight Compact Camping Chair
- Best Mess Kit: Light My Fire 8-piece Bpa-free Meal Kit
- Best Cookset: Stanley Base Camp Cook Set
- Best Towel: Rainleaf Microfiber Towel
- Best Flashlight: Peakplus Rechargeable Tactical Flashlight
Hatchet: Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet
- Best Multitool: Gerber Suspension Multi-plier
- Best Power Bank: Portable Charger Jackery Bolt
- Best Binoculars: Carson High Definition Waterproof Binoculars
Let’s first take a look at the buyer’s guide for the best power banks for the backpacking:
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Power Banks for Backpacking
This is one of the most essential points to consider while buying the best power bank for backpacking. There are many power banks available which offer different capacities as per your requirement. The charge is measured in mAh (mill ampere hour). A 1000 mAh power bank would supply 1000 mA per hour.
Look at the smartphone, tablet, or notebook you have and how much mAh battery it is having. Buy the power bank as per its capacity. Buy a power bank having a slightly more mAh than that of your device to provide a complete charge. It is always best to buy a little bit extra mAh power bank to ensure that the device gets a full charge.
The number of ports
This is also an essential factor to be considered before buying your best power bank for backpacking because this factor, if taken in to account correctly, will make your journey easier, allowing you to charge numerous devices at a time. Earlier, power banks offer only a single port to charge the devices. But as the demand and usage of people increases, the companies are now offering more than one output ports.
Size and Weight
Size and weight are important considerations when buying a power bank, especially when you take it to your traveling. The more the capacity of the power bank, the heavier it will be and bigger in size. But nowadays, innovative designs are introduced, which offers greater capacity and nominal size and weight power banks. So you should choose wisely the power bank, as per your capability of handling it.
Input and Output Charging Speed
When buying a power bank, it’s also an essential factor to think about the rate at which it charges other devices and how much time it will take itself to charge. You need to buy the power bank, which itself charges quickly and charges your devices also with a quick and lightning charge. The balance in both things will make your life easier.
Lithium-ion versus lithium polymer
Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer are two main battery technologies that are used with power banks. Lithium-ion is their high power density and their significantly low cost than lithium-polymer. Lithium-polymer batteries are generally more robust and flexible. Also, they last for a more extended period. They are also lightweight, having an extremely low profile, and have a lower chance of suffering from leaking electrolyte.
Review of the Best Power Banks for the Backpacking
Portable Charger Jackery Bolt 6000 mAh is one of the best power banks in backpacking available. It is light in weight, and a compact portable charger comes with a battery backup of 6000mAh. This Portable charger is rectangular in shape, having curved edges.
The body of the portable charger Jackery Bolt 6000 mAh is constructed of premium finish aluminum allow which resists fingerprints and bumps. It comes with an in-built certified lightning cable that provides a maximum of 2.4 amperes for charging iPhones, iPads, and iPods.
Jackery Bolt 6000 mAh built-in cable provides super-fast charging for all iPhones, twice as fast as iPhone original charger with original cord. It fully charges an iPhone 6/7/8 up to two times within 1.5 hours or an iPhone 6 Plus/7 Plus/8 Plus up to one and half times within 2 hours or an iPhone X up to 1.4 times within 2.5 hours. The package includes 1 Jackery Bolt 6000mAh portable charger, 1 Micro USB charging cable, 1 User Manual, and 1 Thank you card.
- Compact and lightweight
- Attached fast charging cord.
- Attached micro-USB cord.
- Charges iPhones twice the speed of Apple’s iPhone charger.
- Fully charges in 4 hours.
- Features a LED flashlight which can be handy in emergencies.
- Has a smaller power capacity
- It does not support fast charging.
Anker PowerCore 10000 mAh Portable Charger is one of the smallest and lightest portable chargers available on the market. The Powercore 10000 comes with just 92x60x22mm dimensions and weighs 188 grams, making it incredibly small and light in weight. The external housing of the Anker Powercore 10000 features tough plastic casing and black matte exterior.
In Anker PowerCore 10000 mAh, four LED lights on the top of the housing work as indicators for a low charge. On the connectivity front, there is a single USB (Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 compatible) and a Micro-USB slot on either side. The Anker Powercore 10000 comes with a fast-charging feature that charges your device very fast. The Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 translates into lightning-fast charging times for compatible devices.
The Anker PowerCore 10000 mAh provides approximately three and a half iPhone 8 charges and two and a half Galaxy S8 charges. The package includes Anker PowerCore 10000 portable charger, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide, worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.
- The smallest power bank in the 10000 mAh range, only slightly bigger than a credit card
- Light in weight
- QC3 compatible for extremely fast charge time
- Safety features available
- No Type-C input port for charging the power bank
Nitecore Flexible Power Bank Outdoor EDC Battery is one of the best compact power banks for backpacking. This power bank takes your rechargeable batteries used in flashlights, converts it into a flexible, portable power bank for your smartphone, DSLR, and other USB-rechargeable electronic devices.
Nitecore Flexible Power Bank is a handy tool that is less than 4 inches long. It is compatible with a wide range of cylindrical Li-ion battery sizes, including 18650, 16340(RCR123A), and 14500. This range of choice allows you to select which works better for you. The Power Bank also comes with a pair of rubber bands to hold the cell in their positions while using.
Nitecore Flexible Power Bank is equipped with two USB outputs. Each is capable of outputting 2.0 Amps of current to quickly recharge your device. The charger comes with a 3-LED power indicator, which allows you to keep track of your power bank’s remaining charge.
- Compatible with a wide range of cylindrical Li-Ion batteries
- 3-LED power indicator
- 0 Amp output for rapid charging
- Designed for optimal heat dissipation
- Rubber bands are always required to hold the batteries in position.
4. Dark Energy Poseidon IP68 Waterproof, Shockproof, Dustproof, 10,000mah, 2 USB Port, 3.4 Amp Portable Charger
Dark Energy Poseidon Portable charger is a completely waterproof IP68 and durable device. It features two numbers of charging ports with a total of 3.4 amperes in output. Its charging capacity is 10000 mAh, which can charge any USB powered device, including smartphones, DSLR, tablets, etc. The manufacturer claims virtual indestructibility of Dark Energy power bank, exceeding the Military 810-G drop test.
It comes with a tough, constructed body. The device is pretty thin, which comes with the 20-foot USB cable protected in paracord. Its military-grade durability, waterproof property, shockproof, and dustproof are some of its features, which makes it an ideal choice for you. 10,000mAh capacity charges your phone 3-6 times as per its capacity. It has a built-in light, which provides you an easy to find your devices in the dark. It is also a solar chargeable.
- Dual output ports delivering a total of 3.4A
- Built-in light
- Compact and light for its capacity
- Solar chargeable
- Not Budget-friendly
- Solar panels are not included in the package.
Anker PowerCore plus is one of the best power banks for backpacking available on the market. This power bank has the biggest charging capacity and is the most powerful model on our review list. Its charging capacity is 26800 mAh, which offers high-speed charging for smartphones, tablets, and USB-C notebooks. It has 1 USB-C (30W) and 2 USB ports of 5V/3A each.
Anker PowerCore Plus 26800mAh of power charges most of the phones over 7 times, tablets at least 2 times, or notebooks at least once. It is fully recharged in 4 to 5 hours due to its Power Delivery input (27W).
The package includes Power core+ 26800 PD, 30W USB-C wall charger, Micro USB cable, USB-C to USB-C, travel pouch, welcome guide, worry-free 18-month, and friendly customer service.
- Heavy-duty charger for charging
- Button available check the remaining % charge of the battery
- 2 5V/3A USB ports & 1 USB-C port for “Power Delivery” fast charge
- Quick charge, even when charging two devices simultaneously
- It won’t charge itself while charging your device
- Price is a bit higher
The RAVPower rp-pb005 large capacity power bank contains 10,000 mAh power in a Compact body, allowing users to recharge their devices anywhere, anytime they want. Which situation is more painful – the cellphone battery dies in the middle of something urgent; or a power bank that charges your device super slowly? Well, the RAVPower 10,000 mAh battery pack fixes both the above two problems at the same time.
With the two DC 5V/2 4A outputs, it is able to power up your device 2 times faster. When faced with the dilemma, that two of your electronic gadgets are powered off; or your smartphone and your partner’s smartphones both are in need of recharging at the same time, is taking turns with the power bank the only option? Not necessarily! The iSmart 2. 0 ports of the RAVPower portable charger can sense which device needs more power and therefore can simultaneously charge two devices smartly with a total DC 5V/3. 4A Output (each 2.4A max).
It has a thoughtful design for comfortable grip under most circumstances, we usually hold a cellphone and a power bank in the same hand while the cellphone is being charged. Thus the RAVPower battery pack is designed with rounded corners to offer an outstanding and secure feel in the palm of your hand. Over-charge, over-discharge, over-heat, over-voltage, over-current, and short-circuit protections provide a 100% usage safety so that you don’t have to worry about forgetting to unplug the charging wire.
The package includes 2 Micro-USB Charging Cables, 1 Carry Pouch, 1 card, and 1 User Guide. It has a small body to be carried around easily and powerful enough (10,000 mAh) to charge an iPhone 7 Plus up to 2 1 times (iPhone charging cable not included), a Galaxy S8 up to 20 times and an iPad mini 4 About 12 times. Item Weight is about 8.8 ounces. 2 Lithium Polymer batteries are required which are included in the package. Its dimensions are 4.33 x 0.87 x 3.15 inches.
- Sleek and stylish design
- Small enough to be carried around in purse or pocket
- Great efficiency Boost – being recharged 2 times faster thanks to the two DC 5V/ 2a input
- Two Devices at a time quickly and smartly charges a smartphone and a tablet at the same time via iSmart ports with the total 34a output (each 2 4a Max)
- Thoughtful design for comfortable grip
- Charge securely with Multiple protections ensures users’ safety with over-charge, over-discharge, over-heat, over-voltage, over-current, and short-circuit protections
- Qualcomm Quick Charge not supported
- Batteries might fail earlier than expected
- Anker Astro E1 Portable Charger
- Micro USB cable
- Travel Pouch
- Welcome Guide
Compatible with 12” 2015 MacBook (USB-C cable required), iPhone XS / XS Max / XR, Android smartphones and tables (including the Nexus 7), and other USB-charged devices except for the iPod nano, iPod Classic, HP TouchPad, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Asus tablets and some GPS and Bluetooth devices. Upgraded Capacity: Add over two full charges to an iPhone 8 or 1.5 full charges to an X, Galaxy S8, Nexus 5 or other smartphone (use your device’s original cable).
- Superior Quality
- Light weight
- 18 Months warranty period and friendly customer service.
- Exclusive PowerIQ Technology (Detects your device to deliver its fastest possible charge speed up to 2 amps).
- Incredibly Compact: The size of a small candy bar (3.82 × 1.71 × 0.88 inches, 4.2 oz) it fits perfectly in your pocket or purse
- AC adapter not included.
- Does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge.
- Too many negative reviews on Amazon.
Solar Charger 25000mAh, Hiluckey Outdoor Portable Power Bank with 4 Solar Panels has a high capacity built-in 25000 mAh Li-polymer battery, it can charge your phones 8-10 times or tablets 3-4 times for an average of 9 days of usage per charge. Hiluckey solar power bank is compatible with almost all the 5V devices as iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Sony, Huawei, HTC, LG, Nexus, Tablet, camera, Bluetooth, GPS and more.
4 Solar Panels: With 4 foldable high-effeciency solar panels, up to 1A input current under the sunlight, which is 4 – 6 times faster than the other solar chargers. You can also use micro USB cable to charge it. Dual 2.1A USB ports allow you to charge 2 devices simultaneously with 2.1A high speed charging. Auto-detect your devices’ current to pair the optimal output.
This solar charger features beautiful and smart design to charge your phone anywhere even without electricity. Its rugged construction is dust, shock and waterproof. It has a built in LED flashlight with SOS mode, perfect for outdoor emergency. The package includes:
- Hiluckey 25000 mAh Portable Solar Charger
- A micro USB cable
- User Manual.
- 25000 mAh ultra-high capacity
- 4 Times Light-absorbing Solar Panels
- High speed charging
- Easy to hang it anywhere via hook
- Dual USB 2.1A Output
- Built for Outdoors
- Built in LED flashlight with SOS mode
- Good post purchase customer support.
- Hanging loop is very small, making it difficult to hang to your backpack.
- Needs very long hours in direct sunlight to be fully charged.
- Not water roof or even water resistant as claimed by the company.
- Few customers have complained about the swelling of the battery.
- Makes a high pitched annoying noise when charging.
- The adhesive used to seal the fabric material to the solar panel can heat up and separate from the panel
RAVPower is the one-stop power charging solution for millions of customers from around the world. Leader in fast wireless charging thanks to our groundbreaking HyperAir technology, Their wide variety of portable chargers and charging accessories provide a reliable way to stay powered anywhere, anytime. This Portable Charger RAVPower 10000mAh Power Bank is light weight and compact using LG 21700 battery cells, and measuring 4. 4 x 2. 0 x 1. 0 inches and weighing only 6.7 oz.
This mini portable charger is perfect for traveling as it is compatible with many devices such as Galaxy S10, IPhone XS, IPad, IPhone 4, IPhone 6, IPhone 11, IPhone 7, IPhone X, IPhone 11 Pro Max, IPhone 8, etc. It uses connector-type USB type c, USB type a cables. Its capacity is 10000 Milliamp Hours. The company claims that it is dramatically fast charging: only 25 minutes will charge your iPhone to 50% via the USB-C port with a USB-C to lightning cable (not included). The package only includes a USB-C to USB-C cable. This portable charger provides 4 charges for iPhone 8, 2. 1 charges for iPhone 11, 2 charges for Samsung S10, or 2. 2 charges for Pixel 2.
This powers up in just 3 hours with the included USB-C to C cable connected to a USB-C 18W power delivery wall charger (not included). Upto 29W total output with dual output ports allow simultaneous charging of your devices without sacrificing charging speed. It is certified as safe, built to strict jeita specifications, Ensures total safety including overcharging, overheating and short circuit protections. This power bank fits easily any pocket and bag, making it the perfect charger whether you’re laying on the couch or running for your plane.
The package includes:
- 1 x 10000mAh portable charger (rp-pb186)
- 1 x USB C to C charging cable (100cm/39. 4In)
- 1 x Travel pouch
- 1 x User Manual
The RAVPower 10000 PD power bank comes with a USB-C to USB-C. The USB-C to C cable is to be used for charging the RAVPower 10000 PD power bank via a USB-C PD wall charger (such as Apple’s 18W/29W/61W/87W adapter or RAVPower’s 30W/61W USB-C PD wall charger) in around 3 hours. (PD charger is not included, sold separately) . Recharging via 5v/1a USB-A charger (not included) will take approximately 9 hours.
- Sleek and Powerful
- 10000mAh Battery CapacitY
- Compact Size
- Fast charging
- Up to 29W Output
- Intelligent Security System
- Full recharge in 3 hours
- Certified safe
- Includes free USB-C charging cable and a bag.
- Customer service is not up to the mark.
- Costs more than others with comparable capacity.
- Limited input to USB-C so if you don’t own a USB-C power supply, you’ll need to buy one or buy a USB-C to USB-A.
- Heavier than its counterparts.
These are the five best camping heaters available on the market, according to my experience and research. You can choose any one amongst them to take it with you on your next winter camping trip. But if you ask my favorite, then it would definitely be Anker PowerCore 10000 Portable Charger. It offers various useful features such smallest power bank with 10000 mAh capacity, light in weight, smaller in size easy to handle, safety features available, pocket, and budget-friendly. All these options make it a perfect choice for your next journey.