If the adventurous person inside you has just told you that you are experienced enough to throw big baits, you have decided to go for swimbait fishing. Let me tell you that crankbait rods are not reliable for lures weighing over 2 ounces or more 8 inches in length. Trying them for swimbait rods will be a wild goose chase. The swimbait fishing rod is the answer you are looking for.
We are going to review the following best swimbait fishing rods:
Several factors need to be considered before thinking about purchasing the best swimbait rod for fishing. We have addressed each of them one by one below so that you are able to make an informed decision before purchasing your ideal swimbait rod.
Important Things to Look Within The Best Swimbait Fishing Rod:
When choosing swimbait rods, the length is the vital criteria that should be kept in mind. The feature does not require a precise length, but it’s a game of range anything between 7 to 8 feet is suitable for serving the swimbait rod purpose. However, rod smaller than 7 feet will not help you in catching big fish , and longer than 8 feet will make it difficult to feel the fish. Typically, fishing swimbait rods are of 7 feet and 6 inch but an ideal length is 8 feet.
The fishing rod’s power is defined by the strength of rod or how much big baits it can handle. The rating scale is generally mentioned on the rod blank according to the lure weight. It ranges from ultra-light to extra-heavy, considering ultra-light/light for small fish and heavy/extra heavy rod for big musky or bass fishing. The best swimbait rods are of heavy rating or above.
The best fishing swimbait rods are designed to counter the force that is created by big fish in water. Elasticity is provided in these swimbait rods to counter such power during fishing, and they bend when fish apply the force. However, the area from where the bend starts defines the action of the rod that whether it will be fast action, medium or slow.
The action is classified into two categories. A “slow action” rod will start bending from the reel side rather than a “fast action” rod, which bending start from the tip rod or 2/3 of its length.
For the big fish, you will need a fast action medium to heavy power swimbait rod.
Understanding reel seat sizing for the swimbait rods can be little tricky, so here’s a small guide for you to the reel seats:
- Spinning, also known as ‘barrel’, reel seats are the easiest to understand. They are sized based on their inside diameter in millimeters (with the exception of size 16, which has an inside diameter of 15.5 mm). As the inside diameter of the reel seat increases, so does the length and overall width of the seat.
- Casting, also known as ‘trigger’, reel seats are somewhat more complicated, especially if they are designed to expose the blank above the trigger. With a spinning reel seat, if the seat that feels comfortable in your hand has a bigger inside diameter than your blank, you can easily use tape and epoxy to build the blank up and create a tight fit. But with an exposed blank reel seat you will find it hard do this because building up the blank would ruin the whole point of being able to feel it with your hands. Therefore, casting reel seats have two sizes- one that corresponds to the external size of the seat so that it feels comfortable in your hand, and another inside diameter size that ensures it will fit snugly on the blank.
Once you understand how reel seats are sized, you can pick the one you want based on what will fit on your blank, what size will feel better to you personally and what size will fit your reel.
There are many different material rods available in the market, mostly e-glass material, a type of glass fiber used back in the days for the fishing rod. Nowadays, graphite use is common, and the material provides the rod lightness and more sensitiveness.
Even many composite material swimbait rods are also there in the market, which is a mixture of graphite and glass fiber (e-glass and S-glass).
Another important thing you need to be aware of about line weight, good swimbait rod, is catching big fishes. Always remember while reeling, your rod will just not have to bear the weight of your catch, but also the line and even big baits.
At last, you need to be sure of the durability of the rod. No one wants to keep changing their rods, especially when their hands are set on a particular rod. Its best to buy a swimbait rod that is long-lasting and can sustain the wear and tear for years. You need to check thoroughly every part of the rod, like blanks, line guides, and handle before making a purchase.
I have shortlisted 9 best swimbait rods, in my opinion. I will review each of them one by one and list their pros and cons so that it is easier for you to decide which would be the best swimbait rod for your own personal needs.
- Package length: 0.508 cm
- Package width: 10.16 cm
Okuma is a brand that every angler wants to have in his kit. This product is well known in the swimbait community. Its one of the best swimbait rods available in the market.
This swimbait rod is famous for its extra-extra heavy rating with length just about 8 feet. The brand has used unidirectional fiber reinforcement technology that toughens its tip and increases uplifting strength three times. Fuji k concept guide frame is used, which helps you out in wind knots—primarily used for bigger swimbaits weighing around 5 oz. to 14 oz. , and not useful for small baits smaller than 5 oz.
This is a pretty good option if you are looking to buy more massive swimbait rods.
- Uses Fuji k concept guide frame.
- Lifting capacity three times.
- Also handy in saltwater.
- Ideal for bigger swimbait.
- Extra heavy rating
- Comfortable grip
- Very well balanced
- Not as useful for baits below 5 oz.
- The structure is not as strong as compared to the rod.
- No warranty.
One of our top five picks in swimbait rods is this Abu Garcia Fantasista Beast, known for its elegant and sleek design. Anglers around the world want to get their hands on these.
This unit is known for its tetra axial carbon construction, which strengthens it up and makes it long-lasting. It comes with aconite guides, and the Fuji reel seat makes it comfortable to use. The rod’s length is 7 feet 11 inches with a swimbait rod this large you will be amazed by its sensitivity.
Well, another good thing is that the brand provides you a 5-year warranty.
- Tetra axial carbon construction.
- Fuji alconite guide System.
- Comfortable EVA foam grip.
- Great sensitivity.
- Ideal for less weight of swimbaits.
- Five-year warranty.
- Not ideal for swimbaits more than 4 oz.
- 24/30-Ton ultra-responsive carbon blank construction
- UFR: Unidirectional fiber reinforced rod tip technology increases rod tip...
This second Okuma’s swimbait rod added in our list is known for its extreme sensitivity with a result of 24/30 ton ultra-responsive new carbon construction. Like most of Okuma brand swimbait rods, the unit used UFR technology (unidirectional fiber reinforcement) that increase its lifting capacity three times. Another thing that stands out for its titanium guide weighs 43 % less than sea guides and decreases the chances of corrosion. It can handle lure weight between 2 oz. to 10 oz so it makes it ideal for big swimbaits.
The brand provides a limited lifetime warranty. It’s an excellent value for money product given the sensitivity its swimbait rod provide
- Guides are of titanium.
- Can catch fish ranging from 15 to 40 lbs.
- It has a limited lifetime warranty.
- Very sensitive.
- UFR technology making it a best option for its users.
- Carbon construction.
- Prone to breaking.
- Not useful for swimbait weighing under 3 oz.
- 8'6" Heavy Fast Action Swimbait Rod
- 20-40 lb. test
Champion series of Dobyns is second to none in swimbait rods. It has a long handle with the rod length of 8 feet 6 inches comes with premium Fuji guides that tough and long-lasting. Eva foam provides you a comfortable and best grip; however, it has a one-piece grip. Fast action makes it easier to reel in the heaviest of the fish lot easier than others. The company does not provide any warranty for their swimbait rod.
- Longer in length.
- Best performance offered.
- Catches fish up to 20 lbs.
- firm grip.
- Big swimbaits weighing between 2 oz. to 8 oz. are used.
- Fast action rod helps to make reeling in more comfortable.
- No warranty.
- Less durable.
- not ideal for more than 4 oz. lure weight
- One-piece grip.
- Scott Martin designed rods for tournament concept fishing
- All rods have been designed for specific tournament applications
This product is named after a famous professional angler Scott Martin who has won FLW angler of the year and FLW cup on his name. The length of almost 8 feet with the heavy power rating is blank constructed from 30-ton ultra-sensitive carbon. It comes with a comfortable EVA foam split piece (two-piece) grip. The product is only useful for swimbaits weighing up to 2 oz. If you use braised lines, this will help you as it has a hard aluminum oxide guide.
If you don’t have any problem with fishing with lighter swimbait than 2 oz than this product is a better option. Easily one of the best swimbait rod for lighter lure weight. With the carbon blank which is incredibly sensitive, this rod will provide you with a certain edge. The rod is also not light in weight, but this guarantees splendid casting control and higher range. It’s easier to cast with a slightly heavier rod, keep this in mind.
- Tough backbone.
- Lighter rod as compare to others.
- Aluminum oxide guide.
- Best quality material used in the construction.
- The split-grip makes it comfortable for longer sessions.
- Great sensitivity.
- Does not support big swimbaits.
- Less durable.
- Post-purchase customer service is questionable.
- Not be suitable for dynamic angling
- The weight of the rod is a bit heavier as compared to other rods.
- 8'0 inch heavy power fast action swimbait rod
- 20-40Lb. Test
This Dobyns Rods Casting Rod from their Fury Series is 6’6″ Medium Heavy Power Fast Action rod of about 10-17 lb. It can bear 1/4-3/4 oz. of lure weight. The company recommends it for Jigs, Texas Rigs, Senkos, Flukes, Spinnerbaits, etc. These rods feature powerful, high modulus graphite blanks for maximum sensitivity and strength.
Fury casting rods are one of the best casting rods available on market. It comes loaded with comfort and durable features that will make you not want to put them down. Included are things like Kevlar wrapped high-performance guides, AA premium cork handles with Hypalon butts, and Fuji reel seats. Available in a wide array of technique-specific actions and lengths, the Dobyns Fury Series Casting Rods are a great value every serious angler can appreciate!
- Comfortable to hold.
- Guides are well placed and of good quality.
- Sensitive and well balanced.
- Fast action rod
- Highly Sensitive
- High modulus graphite blank for strength
- Fuji reel seat
- Kevlar wrapped AA grade cork handles
- Compatible with multiple fishing techniques
- the reel seat threads are very short.
- The short length of the pole is a drawback
- Reel seat threads are not up to the mark
- IM-6 graphite with woven carbon construction
- Stainless steel Hooded reel seat
Daiwa Laguna Casting Rod is one of the best swimbait rods available on the market, this comes with IM-6 graphite with woven carbon construction. It has stainless steel and hooded reel seat. Comes with Aluminum oxide guides and it combines hand-fitting comfort and performance into a sturdy yet flexible rod. The lightweight frame allows for easy maneuverability and line maintenance.
Daiwa Laguna Casting Rod is the ultimate budget-friendly rod with high-end blank design and innovation. The components of this best casting rod are made of high-quality material to deliver the best performance. The IM-6 carbon design of this rod has made it stronger, leaner, lighter, and sharper than ever before. This 6.6ft rod is incredibly fast but folds away under pressure in an even arch to displace load, so there is no need to worry about the tip breaking.
Daiwa Laguna Casting Rod is one of the best casting rods on our review list, which ensures maximum fighting power and the Braided X feature brings high-end technology and performance. This medium-heavy rod has a modern and stylish look while providing extra power and strength to the lower section of the rod for extra fighting and casting power. The rod is light in weight, making it easier for users to carry the rod while traveling. The custom EVA split grip increases the leverage for long casts and sensitivity, moreover, the best in class convenient hook keeper makes stowing lures a cinch.
- Lightweight, split foam grip.
- Ideal for smaller swimbaits.
- Great for its price.
- Light and flimsy tip according to some customers.
- Guides are small as compared to others.
- Elite Carbon Blanks & Nano Resin Technology - Speed Demon Pro rods start...
- Fuji Guides/Reel Seats & WINN Grips - Only the finest Fuji guides and reel...
Speed Demon Pro rods start with Elite Carbon blanks that utilize Carbon Nano Tube resin technology to reduce its weight, increase breaking and lifting strength by over 30% compared to standard graphite blanks. These proprietary blanks are not only strong and light but may just be the most sensitive rods you’ve ever had in your hands.
According to the company, only the finest Fuji guides and reel seat are used to ensure that reels stay firmly in place and that lines are never frayed or are slowed down by inferior guides. Spinning models using Fuji LV style guides with Alconite rings. Handles and fighting butts are custom WINN golf-style grips that provide comfort and a sure grip in all conditions.
These are designed based on years of experience and elite angler input to ensure that each model is precisely built to deliver uncompromising performance for each specific technique. Everything from the rod weight, action, and length of the handles are carefully considered to build these professional rods. There are currently 15 models including 4 spinning and 11 casting models all in 1-pc designs and ready to take you to a new level in your sport.
- Very sensitive.
- Comfortable and firm grip.
- Heavy cover bass rod.
- Fragile due to thinness of rod.
- Prone to scratching.
- The tip can break easily.
- Post purchase customer service is not good according to some reviewers.
- Best used with swimbait fishing methods; comes with a 3 year limited...
- A heavy action fishing rod; 7 feet 6 inches long
The Ardent Denny Brauer Pro Series Rods were developed by Professional Fishing Hall of Famer and Bassmaster Classic winner Denny Brauer. Denny Brauer brings both his passion and principles to the Pro Series line of rods with a healthy mix of light to heavy action for every angler. All pro Series Rods are all single piece constructed with IM-8 graphite and Fuji aluminum oxide line guides. A cork split grip is featured on all Denny Brauer Pro Series Rods to ensure elite comfort for long days on the water. These baitcasting rods come in several models: Frog, Flipping Stick, Swimbait, Crankbait, Flip and Pitch, and Umbrella to accommodate any angler.
Ardent Denny Brauer Baitcasting Rods are best used for swimbait fishing methods. Its dimensions are 2 x 2 x 90 inches and weigh 4.96 ounces. It comes with a 3-year limited warranty. This is a heavy action swimbait rod which is 7 feet 6 inches long. One-piece construction which lowers the chances of beaking.
These are made from lightweight IM-8 graphite for superior durability. They are equipped with high-quality Fuji aluminum oxide line guides. These baitcasting rods also feature cork split grips to reduce hand fatigue for all-day comfort on the water.
- Fast action-heavy rod.
- IM-8 graphite for durability
- Aluminum oxide guidelines
- 3 year warranty period
- Cork split grips
- Heavier as compared to other counterparts.
- Not ideal for larger swimbaits.
- Low sensitivity.
Picking anyone from these best five swimbait fishing rods is not an easy task. However, still, if I have to decide in favor of one, it will be “Dobyns Rods 806HSB-LH Champion Series.” It is because of the range this swimbait rod provides. This fast action, longer length swimbait rod makes most of the efforts and lets your work easier.