Kayak fishing is an excellent form of exercise. It provides relief from the mundane life one is leading. Being in the water, close to nature, focusing on finding fish can be therapeutic. But it can get lonely. Who doesn’t want to have a good laugh, or even better, show off their fine catch to someone?
It’s always a good idea to have a companion while kayak fishing to make it more fun. This article will discuss all the great options for tandem kayaks and reviews 5 best tandem fishing kayak. It may help anglers settle on the best one for themselves.
Benefits of Tandem Kayaking
Here are some reasons for anglers to consider buying a tandem kayak:
- Tandem kayaking is an excellent opportunity to spend some quality time with a loved one. Our lives are busy, and we find it difficult to hang out and have a relaxed time with a companion.
- Most tandem kayaks are sit-on-top models that allow a better fishing experience.
- Buying a tandem kayak is like striking two birds with one stone. Instead of spending on two single boats, you spend on one boat for two
- It may need some practice. Both anglers will soon be able to synchronize their movements. It allows anglers to take some time off while one of them paddles.
- A beginner or a child can be taken along on tandem kayaks. The children also get to learn kayaking with an adult.
- There’s usually a lot of space, in a tandem kayak for storing extra fishing gear. Their spacious size also allows for taller anglers to sit comfortably.
- Most tandem kayaks have removable seats. This way they can also be used for solo fishing excursions. In case the seats aren’t removable, the extra space is always helpful for storage.
- A tandem kayak has a broad base that enhances stability. The boat is also more maneuverable that way.
- There is always a chance for something unexpected to happen which is why tandem fishing is safer. When with a companion it is easier to make decisions and remain calm.
What To Look For in a Tandem Kayak?
- The kayak should track smoothly and be easily maneuverable. Anglers are able to stand in the kayak while fishing if the kayak is stable.
- The seats of the tandem kayak should be comfortable. Other than fishing, comfort also has to be taken into account for the journey. Kayaking excursions can usually last a few hours. Comfortable seats make a huge difference.
- Anglers need to carry quite some gear along with food and drinks. Make sure the tandem kayak you’re buying has good storage space.
- A kayak with rod holders improves the fishing experience. At times there is also a swivel rod holder given along with flush mount holders.
How to Tandem Kayak?
It is always a good idea for the angler in the front to get into the tandem kayak. The other angler can hold the rear of the boat on land while the front is in water. Then the kayak can be pushed into the water and get into it. The more experienced paddler should preferably sit in the back.
Both anglers should time their strokes to avoid moving the boat in crooked lines. It takes a while to gain rhythm. But with a little practice, both anglers can soon be synchronized.
The angler in the front cannot see the one at the back. It is best that he takes the lead with paddling. The one sitting behind can follow.
It is also a good idea for the paddler at the back to be the stronger one. In case of any deviations, he is the one who has to paddle stronger on the opposite side.
With time, patience, and endurance the two kayakers find their rhythm.
The best choices for tandem fishing kayaks are discussed here. This article will serve as a guide for those buying a tandem kayak.
This is a 12’ long and 34” wide tandem kayak that weighs only 57 lbs. the lightweight of the boat makes it convenient for two people to carry it. it has a weight capacity of 425 lbs. it’s been built by a company known for its outdoorsy equipment since 45 years. The kayak comes with features that give anglers a productive and comfortable experience.
The kayak has two Comfort Plus seats that can be adjusted in four different ways. It provides greater slip prevention to the paddlers. There are three molded-in seat wells also that add to the comfort and seating space.
Over-lapping molded-in foot wells give comfortable seating to the paddler seated in the centre. It has an open hull so anglers can get in and out with ease.
A revolutionary feature that the boat comes with is the skid plate. The skid plate protects the boat’s keel. The skid plate can always be replaced whether you lose it or damage it.
The kayak comes in attractive colors that give it a fun look. This is a safety feature. The bright colors also make it easily visible in the water.
The kayak is built in a way that allows even 3 people to be seated on it. Yet, it can also be used for solo fishing. Scupper holes easily drain out any water that comes in. The boat floats high since it is light weight. This way water doesn’t come in through the scupper holes.
- Can be used tandem or solo
- Great seating space
- Comes in various colors
- Comfortable seating with multiple foot wells
- Spacious and sturdy
- Maneuverable and stable
- Seems a bit pricey as compared to other similar boats
- Isn’t equipped with storage compartments
- Doesn’t come with paddles
This tandem sit-on-top kayak is inflatable. When inflated it is 10’ long. It can be conveniently packed away after the fishing trip is over. All the accessories that come with it can be packed inside the bag. It hardly weighs 35 lbs and allows a weight capacity of 400 lbs. it’s constructed with durable PVC. There are thin chances of a puncture in the sturdy vinyl material. The I-beam floor of the boat is equally rigid.
The best feature of the boat are its multiple air chambers. If one were to deflate the other would keep the boat afloat till the angler reaches safety. The color is a striking yellow which makes it noticeable in the water even from a distance.
The spacious cockpit is comfortable and the seats are inflatable with padded backrests. Velcro strips on the boat hold the seats in place.
The boat is easily inflated and deflated because of the presence of BOSTON VALVES. A high-output air pump comes with the watercraft to do the job. It hardly takes ten minutes to unroll it and fill it up with air. a measuring scale is printed on each chamber. With its help the kayakers can be sure whether the right air pressure is on each chamber. There are carry handles on the bow and the stern for easy carrying.
It also comes with a removable skeg that enhances the stability of the boat. When deflating, a drain valve easily helps the boat drain out any water that collects in it.
- Comes with accessories
- Soft chambers of the boat make it comfortable to sit in
- Easy set up
- Quick to inflate and deflate
- Easy portability and transportation
- The paddles are wobbly
- The chambers are too soft for the boat to be taken into fast-moving waters
- Inflating the seats is cumbersome
- The paddles knock against the side chambers as they are high
This is a 15’ tandem kayak that can be used solo as well. When folded it is merely 35”x12” in size. It comes in a duffel bag and weighs 56 lbs when packed. It’s accompanied by two mesh seats and a repair kit. The seats can be set up for tandem use. One seat can be removed and placed in the center for solo fishing.
The kayak is constructed with rugged PVC tarpaulin. There are three layers of material that assure puncture resistance. It’s a pre-assembled watercraft that can simply be unpacked and inflated. An exclusive feature in this kayak is the optional decking. The additional decking can also be adjusted for tandem or solo use within seconds. It looks great and provides additional safety from the elements. There are built-in aluminum ribs in the bow and the stern that improve tracking.
Storage spaces are given in the front and the rear. The bungeed deck can also be used for storage.
- Stable, comes with a skeg
- Ample leg room
- Good tracking
- Maneuvers with ease
- Paddles well
- Spray decks can be added
- A bit heavy to carry
- Solo fishing can be difficult because of the weight
- Good for use on calm waters and not fast-moving waters
- The floor isn’t sturdy enough
This tandem sit-on-top kayak has seats that can be used in three different positions. It can be converted into a solo kayak when one seat is removed and the other placed in the centre. When inflated, it is 13’the long and weighs 47 lbs. the kayak is made with heavy-duty PVC tarpaulin with great puncture-resistance. You can drag it along on the beach or any other surface without the fear of a puncture.
When solo, an angler can stretch his legs out and lean all the way back. With a companion, the two can sit facing each other and have a picnic. There are thigh straps for riders to stay firmly in one place.
This kayak promises improved tracking because of the aluminum incorporated in its bow and stern. It comes with an inbuilt valve that can be plugged in calm conditions or left open in rough conditions.
When deflated it can be neatly packed away and transported even in the trunk of a small car. It comes in a duffel bag that can also be checked in as luggage. It’s fitted with rod holders on the sides to make the journey easier for fishers.
- Easy to set up
- Comes pre-assembled
- Excellent stability
- Easily portable
- Comes with a repair kit
- Won’t tip over easily
- Can feel a bit slow because of its length and weight
- Doesn’t come with a hand pump and paddles
- Anglers may feel the need for a skeg
Built with roto-molded 5mm Polyethylene this tandem hard shell kayak is 12’ long and weighs 77 lbs. The material used for construction ensures UV-protection, weathering and abrasion-resistance. It has a weight capacity of 551 lbs.
It is a sit-on-top kayak that can be used for solo fishing. It’s a 2+1 kayak so a furry companion or a child could be added to the party. Simply add a padded seat in the centre of the boat. The seats are raised to protect riders from getting drenched. They can be set to recline or removed to be used at the beach.
The cockpit is wide and spacious for easy movement. Getting in and out of the boat is also super smooth.
There are bungeed spaces and hatches for storage. Two cup holders are given close to the seating area within easy access of the riders.
Anglers can relax on the comfortable chairs. The sturdy kayak comes fitted with 2 swivel fishing rod holders and four molded-in holders. The swivel rod holders can move right, left, up and down.
- Spacious cockpit for people of all sizes
- Ample storage space for gear, bait, fish and food
- Adjustable chairs
- A third companion can also come along
- Carry handles on either side make carrying it easy
- Takes up a lot of storage space
- Packaging isn’t great
- The cup holders are slightly concealed behind the seats.
The tandem kayak is built with a roto-molded body that ensures durability. Its 12’ long and 3’ wide and easily accommodates two kayakers with their gear.
There are carry handles that make it easy to lift the boat. It weighs 72 lbs and has a weight capacity for 650 lbs.
The premium, high-backed seats are adjustable. Cup holders are given near each of the seats. There’s a platform in the centre that can be used to store something like an ice chest or a cooler. The internal storage compartment is airtight. Mobiles, wallets and car keys can be kept safely in there. There is extra space for storage on both ends of the boat for fishing gear.
There are four inset rod holders and a swivel holder too. It lets anglers fish with complete ease. The boat comes with two double-sided paddles.
- Has great weight capacity
- Durable build
- Generous storage space
- Can be hauled onto any car top
- Has self-bailing valves in the hull that can unplugged
- Feels heavy to some kayakers
- Doesn’t come with a warranty
The vessel is 13’ long and 31” wide. The spacious cockpit maximizes space for leg room and can be used for pets or gear. It comes with paddle holders and a bungeed rear storage space. It weighs 60 lbs and has a weight capacity of 500 lbs.
The seats have a padded bottom and a ventilated back rest. The seats can be adjusted to reach the right position. There are molded-in cup holders in the seats. These features make the journey easy for anglers.
Paddling is also a convenient in this kayak with the GLIDE TRACK foot brace system. They slide on a track for anglers to find a comfortable foot position.
- Extremely stable
- Seating is comfortable
- Tracks well
- Limited storage space
- Doesn’t arrive in great packaging
- Best in flat waters because of wide cockpit
The Advanced Elements Advanced Frame Convertible Kayak would be the tandem sit-on-top kayak for me. Storing and transporting this kayak is convenient. The space in the kayak is sufficient and pets can be taken on fishing excursions. While in the bag, it can be carried on the shoulder. When inflated, it’s easy to carry with a companion. It’s simple to follow the inflation instructions.
The comfort of this kayak is as good as that of a hard shell kayak. The seats can be adjusted in various comfortable positions. Durable straps attach the seats to the boat giving them a firm feel. The tracking of the boat is also as good as a hard-shell. It comes with a tracking fin to enhance tracking.
The material of the boat feels extremely safe and durable. The deck conversion options are perfect for those fishing in cooler conditions.
There isn’t anything better than a kayak that offers so many features and is good value for its money.